Pistons

shee4202

Wiseco's are proven time and time again. You can't go wrong with them. Cast pistons to me seem like a week link in a motor.. at least a motor that runs such high rpms. If a cast pistion crack.... it's gonna fall into pieces. It's possible for a forged piston to crack and not crumble. I don't know, it just seems forged piston are stronger and more reliable. You need to let the quad or bike warm up for an extra few minutes. It's an opinion.. not fact.

I just talked to my buddy, who is the one who got me into making banshees my life and he knows alot when it comes to mechanics and he says wiseco. he says that wiseco forged pistons give a better performance than cast because they're lighter which in the end gives the best perfomance.

I just talked to my buddy, who is the one who got me into making banshees my life and he knows alot when it comes to mechanics and he says wiseco. he says that wiseco forged pistons give a better performance than cast because they're lighter which in the end gives the best perfomance.

nough said!!

Forging process involved in making forged pistons yeilds a higher tensile strength then the casting does. When pistons are forged, the metal is more uniform and less air inside, cast pistons on the other hand their grain isn't well defined and air inside the metal is greater. BUT forged pistons take longer to heat up when your riding..not that that makes any difference.

I just installed my pro-lites and while I was swapping them, I just happen to have a digital scale on my work bench, so I threw them on there. I was suprised to find out that they weigh exactly the same as my stock pistons. In fact, the only difference I noticed was that the OEM's had 4 rings as to the wiseco's 2 rings. So whats the big deal about the wiseco's? How do they increase performance?

Cast and forged have about the same yield strength material but forged have the ability to go beyond the yield point, suffer some plastic deformation, and not break where as the cast are more brittle so they fail quickly once stressed beyond the yield point. Forged material has a higher toughness value, kind of like material after it has been cryo treated, and has a slower mode of failure.

Bottom line here, is there is no real answer, apples and oranges. The niks are made by art. Same as OEM yamaha. They are cast, they also have a higher silicone content than some other cast or forged pistons, they are lighter than some forged pistons.

Wiseco are forged, they are not made as an OEM replacement or conform to OEM specifications, sometimes heavier, they retain heat longer than some cast pistons, they have a different growth rate than stock cast, they are physically stronger than cast (like ducman said).

Which is better? Ford or Chevy? Butter or margarine? coors or bud?

the answer is: it depends.

Go to a kart track and ask the enduro drivers, ask the guys running baja, or anyone else running WFO for long distances and they'll answer "You mean Seizco Pistons?" or ask short distance racers like drag or moto-x and they'll say "Nixplode Pistons?"

The right answer is what are you doing with the motor? what is the budget? are you looking for a stock replacement?

Good luck with the decision.