How Much Timing Advance On A Banshee

I have a 93 banshee with light porting, t5, and open air box with k&n. how much could i advance my timing without having problems? i see that +4 is very popular, my bike is used in sand (glamis, dumont). also i will be modifying the stock plate. anything else i should know or do will be helpfull. Thanks guys

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother Zeppelin, I'm just wondering what octane you run. I'm just getting my bike back together after the winter. I took it from bone stock to what you see in my sig. and haven't run it yet. I hear people talkin bout how they're scared of detonation and all that. I'd rather push my luck than pay 10 bucks a gallon for fuel. Any input?

p.s. John Bonham is my God!

I've got about the same mods and I'm anxious to hear the answer to that question. Hey Zep............did you modify your stock plate to advance your timing?? I was wondering how much you can advance with a stock plate modification. That is how I'm gonna do mine but I want to go about 3 to stay on the safe side.

There is only one way to change the timing. you need to take the stator cover off and then pull the flywheel off. you will see the stator mounted to a plate, that is the plate you need. Pro Design makes the adjustable plate. If you are down on the side of the bike, you to the right where the cases meet together which is right in front of the sprocket. At that point it kind of forms a little line, that is the line you need to set the plate at, right where the cases meet together. so if you wanted to go 4 degrees over you would set the +4 at that line where the cases meet together. But there are 2 more important factors, when putting the flywheel back on, make sure the key stays in the crankshaft!!!! and after the flywheel is back on you need to adjust the air gap between the flywheel magent and the pick up lead on the stator , it is suposed to be set at 0.18 - 0.20 thousands. Hope this helps any guestions you can PM me. But it is pretty easy.

Sorry guys I lost track of this thread I guess... :rolleyes:

Brother Zeppelin, I'm just wondering what octane you run. I'm just getting my bike back together after the winter. I took it from bone stock to what you see in my sig. and haven't run it yet. I hear people talkin bout how they're scared of detonation and all that. I'd rather push my luck than pay 10 bucks a gallon for fuel. Any input?

I run 91 or 92 octane with Castor 927 @ 40:1 B)

i use castor mix, 40:1 since i am in california our pumps only give 91 octane

I know exactly how you feel, only a few places *sometimes* have 92octane...so that's usually what I run too. ;)

I've got about the same mods and I'm anxious to hear the answer to that question. Hey Zep............did you modify your stock plate to advance your timing?? I was wondering how much you can advance with a stock plate modification. That is how I'm gonna do mine but I want to go about 3 to stay on the safe side.

I had to replace my stator, so I just bought one of their stock wattage stators on an adjustable plate. Advanced the timing +4. You can mod the stock plate to +4, there's a post somewhere on here with pics & info on how to do it....you'll dremel out counterclockwise 1mm for every degree you want to advance. For instance, 4mm would be +4 degrees advance. +3 wouldn't be bad either, like you said; to stay on the safe side...it's up to you, I wouldn't go over +4 unless you have a motor that can handle it. I myself, would suggest modding your stock plate over a degree key, I've heard too many bad things about degree keys. But on that note, I've heard several good things. Never heard anything bad about modding the stock plate or aftermarket adjustable plates.

:cheers:

Ride On!

Led Zeppelin

guitarist.gifdrummer.gif:headbang::clap::dance:

Sorry guys I lost track of this thread I guess... :rolleyes:

I run 91 or 92 octane with Castor 927 @ 40:1 B)

i use castor mix, 40:1 since i am in california our pumps only give 91 octane

I know exactly how you feel, only a few places *sometimes* have 92octane...so that's usually what I run too. ;)

I had to replace my stator, so I just bought one of their stock wattage stators on an adjustable plate. Advanced the timing +4. You can mod the stock plate to +4, there's a post somewhere on here with pics & info on how to do it....you'll dremel out counterclockwise 1mm for every degree you want to advance. For instance, 4mm would be +4 degrees advance. +3 wouldn't be bad either, like you said; to stay on the safe side...it's up to you, I wouldn't go over +4 unless you have a motor that can handle it. I myself, would suggest modding your stock plate over a degree key, I've heard too many bad things about degree keys. But on that note, I've heard several good things. Never heard anything bad about modding the stock plate or aftermarket adjustable plates.

:cheers:

Ride On!

Led Zeppelin

guitarist.gifdrummer.gif:headbang::clap::dance:

What kind of compression are you running?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...