1st Trip Out On Jim's Motor

Schizo

I finally got to ride my long anticipated Passion 12 port stroker. First of all I took my 13 front sprocket off and went back to stock 14/41 gearing. For break-in I mixed up some yamalube at 24/1. After a few hot and cold runs I started to get on it alittle more and actually hit the powerband and WOW it hits hard and pulls like hell, the problem was the flat spot before the powerband. After pulling the plugs and seeing how black and wet they were I then leaned out the needle 1 clip and the midrange got better, opened up the air screws till they were 3 full turns out and it got even better, went down 1 size to 48 on the pilots and it got even better, the problem is I still have a bit of a flat spot at the midrange. I dont know if its because of the CPI pipes, the rich gas/oil mix or the main jet. My next trip out I will be done with this rich break-in mix and then I will check the main jet if I can find a safe place to get this thing to 6th gear WOT :blink: BTW...this was all done in wet, loose sand. If the main jet is not a problem then I'm gonna try going back to the 13 front sprocket but a 13/41 seems geared a bit low for a motor with this output even if I do weigh 275 lbs. :rolleyes:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got to ride my long anticipated Passion 12 port stroker. First of all I took my 13 front sprocket off and went back to stock 14/41 gearing. For break-in I mixed up some yamalube at 24/1. After a few hot and cold runs I started to get on it alittle more and actually hit the powerband and WOW it hits hard and pulls like hell, the problem was the flat spot before the powerband. After pulling the plugs and seeing how black and wet they were I then leaned out the needle 1 clip and the midrange got better, opened up the air screws till they were 3 full turns out and it got even better, went down 1 size to 48 on the pilots and it got even better, the problem is I still have a bit of a flat spot at the midrange. I dont know if its because of the CPI pipes, the rich gas/oil mix or the main jet. My next trip out I will be done with this rich break-in mix and then I will check the main jet if I can find a safe place to get this thing to 6th gear WOT  :blink:  BTW...this was all done in wet, loose sand. If the main jet is not a problem then I'm gonna try going back to the 13 front sprocket but a 13/41 seems geared a bit low for a motor with this output even if I do weigh 275 lbs.  :rolleyes:

right on man nice motor.....mine pulls like son of bitch in sand with a 17 up front......once you iron out your jetting youll be flyin....i wouldnt think the flat spot are the cpi's.....maybe break it in, so you can start pulling wide open plug chops, mine had a little crackle at wide open and i went up a main and its fine now......gearing is not your problem though......i tried a 15 with mine and it about looped me everytime i punched it...... a 13, holy shit thats low for that engine, even in deep sand......

Schizo, even at your weight that motor will pull a 15/41 no problem. Concentrate on the main jet and adjust midrange from there. When jetted correctly it will have an almost seamless powerband from around 3000 rpm clear through the terror zone...Jim

Do you still have your airbox? I have the same motor and I cut the back half of my airbox off. My jetting is 172 main and 48 pilot and it pulls like crazy all the way from the bottom to the rev-limiter.

my jetting is the same....... if you want to see the air box uncut let me know ill post pics

Yeah I ordered a stator from akpopeye off HQ and I have a feeling that I might have gotten stiffed on the deal. I paid him on friday and it is now monday night and I have yet to hear from him and I sent his several emails. So I am having a hell of a time here. I am about ready to just give up......

Yeah I ordered a stator from akpopeye off HQ and I have a feeling that I might have gotten stiffed on the deal. I paid him on friday and it is now monday night and I have yet to hear from him and I sent his several emails. So I am having a hell of a time here. I am about ready to just give up......

Rick you mean someone off the HQ stiffed you?......theres about a dozen guys on here id get shit from and he aint one of them.....did you pay him?...if not go to the dealer......how the fucck does your stator go from working to not over a motor change....that just dont sound right man...you shut your bike off, pulled the motor reinstalled it and now the stator is trash? i think the most minor thing is fuckin with you, i cant see your bike, but something is fishy with that, as far as this guy jacking you...lets hope he just had a long weekend........

Rick did you pull that stator completely and ck the wires closely? Man, if I wasnt so swamped I'd drive up there and get you goin..seriously. Hang in there buddy..the good stuff is worth waitin' on...Jim

Rick did you pull that stator completely and ck the wires closely? Man, if I wasnt so swamped I'd drive up there and get you goin..seriously. Hang in there buddy..the good stuff is worth waitin' on...Jim

No not yet, the dealer still has the bike and they were closed today. I will go to the dealer tomorrow ans check it out.