Shipping An Engine

mcaf29

After searching this site using every word mix I could think of I couldn't get a thread on shippping an engine (motor). I know there have been threads on it but they don't show up in the search. I also searched the net with no luck.

I want to know the best way to ship ie UPS, USPS, or Fedex. I'd consider a freight co. if its not too much of an inconvenience for me.

What's the best method of boxing or crating it up. I got my spare motor last week and it came in a box with styrofoam peanuts. The box was all beat up and wasn't packaged well so i don't wanna go that route. Luckily it came from PA so it didn't really have time to get too damaged. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tape up all the edges of the box real well on the bottom and put your engine inside a thick trash bag. Go get yourself some of that insulation foam stuff in a can that hardens. Spray some in the bottom, and then when its hard enough that your engine will still form to it a little bit put your engine in, just make sure its hard enough that it wont sink to the bottom. And then fill the rest of it up , cut the top off that overflows out, tape up the top and you should be good to go.

it depends on what you are going to do with it. are you sending it out to have work done?? i know that Eric Gorr(Forward Motion) will send you an engine crate if you are having work done thru him. im sure there are some others that do as well. i would think builing a small crate would kinda be a hassle. im thinking the expand-a-foam idea would work as long as the shit doesnt get so hard you cant get it back off. if i were to do that i might put a little thicker layer around it than just a trach bag.

Here's what I do...

1- Cut a 2 foot square piece of 3/4 plywood {bigger or smaller depending on what else is with the engine}

2- Use drywall screws and attach 2x2's along 2sides of the plywood to act as skids.{I use a 1/4" air stapler but drywall screws work great too and are easier for the guy on the other end to get it open}.

3- Set the plywood on the floor or bench witht the 2x2's on the bottom.

4- Set the engine on the plywood and using plumbers pipe strap {sheet metal strap with prepunched holes in it a15 ft roll is a couple bucks at any hardware store} put one strap over the stator side of the engine and screw it to the plywood. Do the same for the clutch side. If your covers are in great shape, put duct tape over the strap to prevent any scratches. If the covers aren't beig shipped, use some strap ove the center of the engine and place wood cutoffs under the engine to make sure it won't shift.

5- cut 1/4" plywood {underlayment is cheap and easily found even free if you don't mind dumpster diving at construction sites} for the sides and top.

6- Screw 2x2's in the corners and along the top and screw the sides and top on.

7- Get some cheap rope {I usually use that yellow rope that you can get at walmart for $1} and with the end at the ground on one side put a couple staples {here's where staples are really nice} thru the rope intpot the 2x2 on the bottom of the crate. Extend the rope up past the top of the crate about 9" and then loop the rope back down and staple to the bottom again. Put staples at the top of the crate tohold the rope there. {basically we're making a handle out of the rope that is stapled to the bottom and top 2x2's} repeat for the other side. If I feel extra nice, I'll use some old garden hose over the rope at the top of the loop to make it easier on the hands :)

You will get charged an extra $5 for not having the engine in a box. Some guys will apply cardboard to the outside to save $5. I'd rather pay the $5.

I've had engines shipped to me and I've sent some out and so far this is the best way I've seen to get the engine where it's going.