T5's

roosthrower

my step dad just outfitted his 95 banshee with a set of t5's. He jetted them according to what the toomey site said. It runs great on the top end with 280 mains with the airbox lid on and a k@n filter. The problem is that before you get on the pipe, it sounds and runs like crap. It gets all bubblely and weak in the midrange. It also feels weak when you blip the throttle unless you are on the pipe. We are at sea level and his cylinders are at 120 psi each. Is that just the way the pipe is?

No, T-5's should have no dead spots, they run strong throughout. Did you guys mess with the needle? That controls mid range. What position is it in? The pilot or low speed jet controls from 0-about 1/4 throttle. the needle from 1/4 to about 3/4 and mains the rest of the way. My guess is you are going to have to trial and error the needles. Try up one, see how it runs and down one (from its current location). That should remedy your problem.

I agree w/ funny. Try different needle positions and go from there..if anything, you'll have to drop the needles to lean it out. you might also want to remove the lid or cut the last 1.5" off the back end so you still have all 4 clips to hold the cover on.. this will make a big difference for low end and midrange.. you might have to put 300's in after for the mains..

Hey Banchetta, ironically I have the same setup as roosthrower's stepdad except I have 290 mains @ sea level. I've been looking for just a tad more low/mid end grunt and was thinking of cutting the 1.5 inches off the airbox lid...when you said he oughtta use 300 mains for the airbox mod was that in reference to removing the lid completely or cutting the 1.5 inches off? THANKS!!!

Hey Banchetta, ironically I have the same setup as roosthrower's stepdad except I have 290 mains @ sea level. I've been looking for just a tad more low/mid end grunt and was thinking of cutting the 1.5 inches off the airbox lid...when you said he oughtta use 300 mains for the airbox mod was that in reference to removing the lid completely or cutting the 1.5 inches off? THANKS!!!

Seems like he meant one or the other, but not both.

Seems like he meant one or the other, but not both.

Not at all trying to be a smartass but it would kinda be hard to do both mods...you can only do one or the other...if you take the lid off there is nothing to cut; or if you cut 1.5 inches off, it would be stupid to then remove the lid...Even if he did mean for both, the amount of air flow would be much different without the lid compared to 1.5" missing...hence why I asked about it, surely the jetting would be different. Maybe you misunderstood what I was asking? Oh well, just trying to be clear... :) Thanks for the reply though

Cutting the 1.5" off is almost = to removing the whole lid believe it or not.....I found only about .5 hp difference on the dyno w/ the cut lid and w/o...Of course each run can be off by .5 hp w/ no changes, so the cutting makes great gains...I also did a run w/ a whole lid and lost 4.5 hp!!! So cutting it or removing it is a great mod and noticable,, as far as jetting, I had to go up 2 sizes on my mains w/ midrange pipes, removing the air box lid didn't affect my jetting compared to the cut lid.....

Wow, Thanks Banchetta!!! I do stand corrected! Reasonable thinking would tell me there would be more air flow without the lid opposed to 1.5" cut...but the dyno doesn't lie!! I appreciate your response and I suppose when I do cut the lid I'll bump the jets up 2 sizes...THANKS! :)

;)