Next Mod: Timing Advance Or Delta V-force Reeds?

Banshee0028

Have an '01 SHee with Cool Head 18 or 20cc domes (Not sure bought used) FMF Fatties, PCII's, K&N, 18" Holeshots, Etc setup for MX.....93 octane pump gas....

Which would be the best upgrade? (Timing advance or Reeds) I hear pretty much that a 4 degree advance will help out maybe 2-4hp, but have not heard much about the reeds helping out too much...Some say they do good and othes say they dont do much...It Probably depends on other things, but this is what i have.....

Do the Reeds take a lot more configuration? New jets and carb adjustments?

Any Suggestions :D

I have both, and I like the v-force reeds very much. As you said though, this is a matter of opinion. It seems like the reak issue with v-force reeds is whether or not it is worth the money or not. I havent heard anyone deny the power increase. I would go with the reeds first. Also, I would find out which domes your head has on it, because if it has the 18cc, 93 octane might not be enough...especially with a +4 timing.

I have both, and I like the v-force reeds very much.  As you said though, this is a matter of opinion.  It seems like the reak issue with v-force reeds is whether or not it is worth the money or not.  I havent heard anyone deny the power increase.  I would go with the reeds first.  Also, I would find out which domes your head has on it, because if it has the 18cc, 93 octane might not be enough...especially with a +4 timing.

I know he told me that it was setup to run on pump OR race gas..It was the domes that were "OK" for either....BUt I am pretty sure hey said 18cc..Or maybe he forgot and thought they were 18cc and are really 20cc. I think I will do a compression check soon anyways just to see where I am at :D

About how much power increase did you get with the reeds? Maybe 2-4hp?

The timing advance will give over 2 more HP for a lot less money than the small extra HP you will get from the V-force.

Definitely do the timing advance 1st.

Thanks....I will prolly do the timing first...

However, once I Finally do get the Delta's, exactly what type of increase/response can I expect from them? Btter throttle response, better low end, top end, etc... :(

Send your cages to TDR and have them cut and the carbon fiber reeds installed.....80.00

timing key......25.00 + install

or 200+ for just the v force???

I wanted the v-force too, but i have the TDR reeds and cage mod it rips w/ the 4 degree key. ran great until I melted a plug and piston.......too lean!!

Your call, ask aroud about the tdr mod and reeds you will get good feedback.

With the pipes, you should have the timing advanced. You'll gain some throttle response and some more rpm's.

If delta's are inevitable to you and you have the money not, why not. If your still in the air and want more bang for the dollar, ported cages are the easiest. I wouldn't use the carbon fiber reeds but I would use the thicker hyper tension reeds tdr sells.

With the pipes, you should have the timing advanced. You'll gain some throttle response and some more rpm's.

If delta's are inevitable to you and you have the money not, why not. If your still in the air and want more bang for the dollar, ported cages are the easiest. I wouldn't use the carbon fiber reeds but I would use the thicker hyper tension reeds tdr sells.

Fixit, I am not really stuck on the Delta's at ALL...Just heard those are pretty good.....So yea if ported cages are just as good and alot less $$ then that will work for me :D

So ported cages and the hyper tension reeds are a good set-up? What carb adjustments will I have to do with these new reeds? Jetting?

Thanks for the info B)

i'll go the other way...the deltas will wake the bottom end of her up, way crisper throttle response thats for sure.....horsepower wise who knows, but you will feel them more than a timing advance, at least i did on both my shee's.....major builders like the deltas over ported cages also......ask some of them, we can all voice our opinions forever.......id hit up a builder who knows his shit and ask him......cause they aint cheap......i think porting your cages is like fliping your rims instead of an axle...its the poor mans way to go..and im about to catch some major shit, but its been a long day so bring it on......

I agree with blue. Porting reed cages is half ass and you will get v-force anyways so why not just by once. I would put in the reeds first too because you will not have to run race gas which will save you money. A degree plate at +4 and 18 domes is almost straight race gas.

i'll go the other way...the deltas will wake the bottom end of her up, way crisper throttle response thats for sure.....horsepower wise who knows, but you will feel them more than a timing advance, at least i did on both my shee's.....major builders like the deltas over ported cages also......ask some of them, we can all voice our opinions forever.......id hit up a builder who knows his shit and ask him......cause they aint cheap......i think porting your cages is like fliping your rims instead of an axle...its the poor mans way to go..and im about to catch some major shit, but its been a long day so bring it on......

That clears most of it up...Thanks...Ill start to look around and see how much I can get a set of Deltas for.....Ill decide then...Not that porting is bad at all though. Just another way of doing it.....THanks :D

I agree with blue. Porting reed cages is half ass and you will get v-force anyways so why not just by once. I would put in the reeds first too because you will not have to run race gas which will save you money. A degree plate at +4 and 18 domes is almost straight race gas.

Leadfoot, what would happen if I did have 18cc domes and advanced the timing 2-4 deg, and ran 93 oct?? Would the performance just not be as good as it would with reace gas or would it be negativily affected since the oct would be too low, and/or cause damage?

Also, I will run a comp check this weekend and see where I am at....If I am around 150 then maybe pump gas will be ok with this setup until I rebuild???

:rolleyes:

That all depends on the porting and compression numbers. If you run to high of compression and pump gas with advaced timing, you may get pre-ignition.

This is the fuel exploding before the spark plug ignites it. This can burn holes in pistons and melt plugs. If you have high compression, either back it down with bigger domes or run race gas.... or maybe have race and half pump.