Gearing For 12 Paddles..

highroller

no, 12 paddles seem a bit much for duning. try stock gearing and see what happens. if it dont work, front sprockets only cost 7 bucks. if its still a 350 and its not a 4.2 350 then maybe try some 10 paddle extremes. little more bite but not as much paddle.

THis is an interesting topic! I was just about to ask the same question about the gearing on my bike. I am running about 65 h.p. with 22" 8-paddles. I will be testing this new set-up with a 13-41 sprocket at Glamis in 2 weeks. Does anyone have any comments, experience, or advice on the gearing I'm running for my set-up?

It all depends on your setup just like they said.....i run 22-11-8, 12 paddles on my fully built 350 and they work great so if you plan on doing some more mods i would definately go with the 12 paddles. It will save you money in the long run.

are you duning it or dragging it?  if dragging, either go to a 14/41 or go to 10 paddle haulers instead of 8.

I will be duning mostly and dragging up sand hills for fun. An experienced sand racer told me to go with my set up( 13 tooth, 8 paddle). What is an advantage/disadvantage of this set-up? Remember, I'm only running 65 hp.

well w/ a 13 tooth up front you can pull more paddle than w/ a 14. i pulled 10 paddles w/ a 13 up front on my piped shee. so u could pull 10 paddles and get more hook. or if u want to keep the 8's then go up to a 14 since you can pull them easier then u will still be able to pull them and will gain alot more top end. try it out. front sprockets are cheap.

jasonsb, for 65 horse, i would stay 8 paddle and go 15-41, good all around. All, dyno horse power means nothing. When you dyno, you're running small street tires, when you bolt a set of 22s on it will change your gearing. Second, it depends on where you are making power. If you weigh 95 lbs soaking wet and your t-rex motor peaks at 25000 rpm then your setup will be different than a 300 lb guy making peak at 8000. See the difference? The other problem we've had at glamis, is the bigger paddles hooking TOO well and spinning off the beads of the rim. If you increase air pressure, you spin them and go no where, too low and off the bead they go. There is alot more to it than how much paddle. All of our bikes are running 22x11x8 10 paddle ultralites. At 65 horse like jasonsb, i'd run either a 9 or 10 paddle ultralite and get the gearing straight first. There are so many other factors it would be impossible to speculate all motors and riders here. Its something you need to go out and try.

Hope this helps.