Knocking In The Transmission Side

Mines had a knocking sound since I had it. top ends been done 3 times and I've had 2 new cranks in it... plus the stocker. I have no idea. All I can think of is the water pump. I've also replaced clutch, clutch basket. Sounds like a plastic scredriver handle bouncing around. If it changes when you pull the clutch, it could be your clutch. I can only hear mine at idle and it doesn't change with clutch pull.

I can't hear anything over the kickstarter rattling...but when it's cold my clutch does chatter a little. Try to pinpoint the sound by holding the handle of a screwdriver to your ear and putting the end of the screwdriver in different places on the cylinder, head, tranny, etc...

The one pipe smoking more could be lotsa things; plug starting to foul, pilot jet clogged, maybe float height on that side, broken reed...check the side that isn't firing, unless they are BOTH firing and one side has thick white smoke-in that case you may have a head gasket leak.

i had the same problem a few month ago and i took it to the shop to see if they could find out what it was and come to find out one of my transmittion gears broke of and was grinding the othger gears of also but i had to replace my whole transmission but i found a used one for 200 so it wasent so bad but lets just hope your problen aint that serious :D

Same problem :huh: Like fixitrod I've gone through stock crank, wiseco crank, and a stroker plus 3 topends. Its just this tapping sound that I cannot locate for the life of me. I also had a new clutch and basket. Mine is a 2000 so maybe its just the year. I can only hear it at idle and my she rips but I was always concerned that it was piston knock.

I thought about testing the water pump idea. First I'd say this is probably not a good idea which is why i didn't do it. I was going to remove the side case and clutch basket then get something to turn the crank like an external starter you see in the drags. I thought about starting it and if there was no sound then it was somewhere in the clutch case such as the water pump or idler gear. The only problem with this is you are without cooling, and even for say 20 seconds to listen for the sound it could damge the engine. If you could externally cool the motor by connecting another cooling source to the head this would be a doable expirement. It would then calm my worries that my pistons are about to shatter and destroy my motor.

• 2 months later...

i know this is an old post but i have 2000 model that i rebuilt with hot rod crank new topend new alum water pump and then all of the sudden i have this dang clicking tapping noise going on and cant pinpoint the noise took the cover off and cant see anything wrong it runs perfect so im leaving it alone untill it breaks just wanted to add to this post see yall

What piston's are you running? It sounds like piston slap. Pro-x's are NOISY Sons a bitches..Also a bad bore or worn cylinder can carse that off idle noise. I had this problem with my last rebuild...but a fresh bore and new pistons solved it. I ran it for a year like that...no damage.

damm i wish i would have seen this sooner i just finished my motor last nite i had a clickin noisei tore it down to the bare cases couldnt find anything wrong so i put it back together and put in my new rings and it still does it it makes me think my crank is gonna go nutz and maul my whole engine im so glad this site is here without it i would be going nutz about now replacing all my motor parts and spending all my money well now i can buy better parts thanx guys oh by the way mine is a 1999

• 2 years later...
i have a clicky noise aswell since recently.

but it only starts when its heated up.. and sometimes its gone.

i think its the water impeler.

180359[/snapback]

mine does the exact same thing, i took my side cover off and it looked as tho the idle gear had to much play in the bearing and had hit the back of the clutch basket one time so i thought that might be it, but im not sure and i wont be able to relax till i fix the problem, has anyone ever had it be the water pump