front suspension

caleb90

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone is buying shocks and arms, long travel is a better option 95% of the time.

If someone wants to buy everything in steps and ride in-between, standard travel is the better option.

I’ve seen too much alba stuff break to justify recommending it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb, don't get overwhelmed with all the stuff Tfaith suggested. You do not need all that frame work done. That stuff is a luxury for guys who need everything perfect. Standard travel shocks will suit you just great. The biggest difference maker in everything discussed in this thread is getting quality brand shocks that are setup for you. Again, I do not consider works to be quality but if they are what you can afford then they will be much better than stock. I recommend Axis, Ohlins, Elka or PEP shocks with reservoirs and having rebound, compression and preload adjustment. 
A used set of +2 standard travela arms with quality aftermarket standard travel shocks will not disappoint you. 

I recommend those gussets one those places because it’s easy, cheap, and a super common point of failure.

I could go on for days about all the stuff I would change or upgrade with no time or budget constraint, but those are the basic two.

I do agree on good shocks with all the adjustments. That’s number one.

alright so after thinking about it im going to add the important gussets.. does any one still make kits? if not some pics on where they go will help, then i can blue print them and have them cut off the lasers at work😁

2’ of 0.065 to 0.095 wall chromoly tube is more than enough. Wicks aircraft supply has it for good prices.

Honestly don’t think you need more than 0.065, just may be easier to weld if you go heavier. Just cope it by hand.

If you’re close to St. Stephens, AL then just come on by. I’ll do it for free.

I went with a budget set up 2-3 years ago. I went with fireball racing Lt arms and elk stage 3 shocks which i think is a tad higher tier than their legacy these days. At the time, Alba wasnt too popular but things have changed since then.

I find my bike rides rough. However, i dont have preload settings optimal and i have nothing to compare to. I will be sending out to be reworked by another company sooner or later.

called a local shock builders, the fox podiums are indeed rebuildable and can be shimmed for proper stroke.. problem is the only adjustment is preload on the springs.. soo after paying for a set in good shape and getting them worked your looking a 400-500. not sure its worth it

I believe that gussets on a banshee frame eliminate the flex needed for the frame to be strong. That is based on my own experience of years of mx racing on a banshee frame. But, if you are going to weld on the frame and do gussets you need to replace the foot peg mounts. You can get a set of weld in mounts from JDS. 

Depending on where, absolutely true.

Rule of thumb is to never mix ladder design, box design, and space frame design on a chassis.

Ladder relies on torsion of the tube. Box relies on bending of the tube. Space frame relies on tension and compression of the tube.

The banshee chassis is almost completely box style. You start making it super rigid in some spots and it WILL fail where you don’t. The stem hoop and lower stem mount won’t take any of that extra stress from the rest of the chassis so they don’t apply since it isn’t part of the main structure.

Gusset the common fail points, gusset damn near everything, or gusset nothing. Those are the only options I would consider. My choice would be just the basics. Stem hoop, lower stem mount, and (like Dave said) the foot peg mounts.

Also, those legacy shocks can be a good setup if you have them setup correctly. I just wouldn’t trust them to be great out of the box. Again, where are you located? I can help with cost and have all the 4130 material you’d ever need just siting at the house.

Does like, idk... anyone feel like acknowledging that half of these frames have bent in the same exact spots for over 30 years?

5 of the 7 banshees that I’ve set suspension up for this year alone have had one of those two points bent and 1 had both.

If you’re going to take the time to strip a frame for powder, spend the one hour and $20 to gusset two spots on the frame or pay your local welder $50 to do it for you.

Anyway... if you’re using 4130 or DOM gussets tig welded to mild steel, regular ER70S2 is usually the choice. ER80SD2 and SAE4130 wire can crack around the toe at the base material on mild steel. If you’re gonna mig weld it, I’d say to ask someone else because I can’t mig for shit.