Leaking Intakes

So I’ve leak down tested my motor at least 3 times now. Every time it’s leaking through the bottom and tops of the intakes. I have vforce delta reeds and have been using new reed gaskets every time. Also been putting a coating of Yamabond on all surfaces to help seal it. Still leaks losing 1 psi after about 30seconds. Anyone else have issues with these reeds? Stocks didn’t give me a problem. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It you are using stock intake boots, did you cut the excess rubber from the intake boots? If not flush, it may be causing interference with sealing.  Are you using gaskets on both sides of the reed valve flange? 

• Like 1

It you are using stock intake boots, did you cut the excess rubber from the intake boots? If not flush, it may be causing interference with sealing.  Are you using gaskets on both sides of the reed valve flange? 

Yes to all.

how long are you waiting from sealing it up to pressurizing it? 

Couple days. Put it on there, torque everything then a couple days later once I get to it I’ll pressure test it. Leaks every time from intakes

3 hours ago, Banshee802 said:

Couple days. Put it on there, torque everything then a couple days later once I get to it I’ll pressure test it. Leaks every time from intakes

Ok just checking. Guessing the surfaces are not flat or maybe they are getting tweaked when you torque down? 

• Like 1

how much do you lose after 6 mins? if its still holding around 5 psi after 6 mins just run it.  as far as sealing if you want to be super anal about it, put rtv on all 4 gasket surface faces. clean everything real good first, should do the trick. 

Edited by Ayesully810

Ok just checking. Guessing the surfaces are not flat or maybe they are getting tweaked when you torque down? 

I torque it in a criss cross pattern. Building up on torque until I reach the spec. Maybe they aren’t flat, but I figured the gasket maker would solve that issue

how much do you lose after 6 mins? if its still holding around 5 psi after 6 mins just run it.  as far as sealing if you want to be super anal about it, put rtv on all 4 gasket surface faces. clean everything real good first, should do the trick. 

What do you pump it to? I set mine around 8psi. My other motor I set at 9.5psi and it held without dropping for over a day. I’ve cleaned everything with gas and brake cleaner before putting yamabond 4 on all gasket surfaces. I even tried using rtv ultra black on one side just to see if that would make a difference. It didn’t.

pump it to 6 psi, THEY (who ever they are) says that if you lose more than 1 psi after the 6 mins then re seal things.  there is no reason to have it hold the air over night.  most motor have little leaks especially around the intakes, ive ran stuff with little leaks around the intakes and it didnt blow my motor up.  btw idk how they determined the 1 minute to be the gold standard for air loss during that test.  ive had blaster intakes be really hard to seal before but it was because of the surface on the rubber intake.