Bottom end flush help

OK, so basically I was redoing my top end, I pulled off my right cylinder and I seen a clump of dirt about the size of a dime, small. And as I seen it I watched it fall down my crank, it didn’t go all the way down so I was able to fish some of it out easily but I still lost about half of the clump down into the crank. It was very fine dirt so I could not get all of it, it just fell apart on me. So basically I am going to pull the engine out of the frame tonight, but I don’t think splitting the cases is really needed I think I will be able to flush it since it was a small amount of dirt (even though little amounts can kill bearings) but I need to know what to flush it out with or any tips to get the dirt out, THANKS for any help. 

Last time I did something like this I threw some premix in the bottom end, sloshed it around and dumped it in a 5 gallon pale 7 or 10 times. I could see all the dirt come out and settle in the bottom of the pale. Turn the crank and see if there’s any little specs holding on to the webs, Worked fine for me. 

• Like 1

I'd hook a small hose to a shop vac 1st, then I would turn it on it's side or upside down & strategically spray with an aerosol cleaner/oil with hose, as not to push it towards any bearings. You could vac. while spraying too

I wouldn't slosh anything around in there 'till you know it's as clean as you can get 1st

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rigid_Banshee said:

Last time I did something like this I threw some premix in the bottom end, sloshed it around and dumped it in a 5 gallon pale 7 or 10 times. I could see all the dirt come out and settle in the bottom of the pale. Turn the crank and see if there’s any little specs holding on to the webs, Worked fine for me. 

34 minutes ago, 375hp banshees said:

I'd hook a small hose to a shop vac 1st, then I would turn it on it's side or upside down & strategically spray with an aerosol cleaner/oil with hose, as not to push it towards any bearings. You could vac. while spraying too

I wouldn't slosh anything around in there 'till you know it's as clean as you can get 1st

Thanks for the ideas, I will probably do what both of you said starting with the shop vac then spray it out then slosh some premix in it and dump it out like 8 times.

in the past I jimmy rigged a "suction" hose...  i could explain what i did but I just found this which is straight to the point 

If you have an air compressor and a air gun  and some extra fuel line laying around you can get it done...

the fuel line  is a good size and easy to maneuver inside the cases to clean it all out.... that way you can drop some pre mix down in the bottom end suck it out... repeat until happy...

No need to be lifting and shacking the shit out of a complete bottom end.  hell you can even do it with the motor in the frame 

i stored a banshee engine in a shed with no covering like an idiot back in my rookie banshee days when i was 20 and when i pulled it back out to re asemble, there was a rats nets in the crank case ( stored with cylinders off) i shoved a shop vac in there sucked it all out, then dumped premix  in there and used a rag to floss the crap out of everything with oil. ran like a champ for a long time after that. 

Edited by Ayesully810

i stored a banshee engine in a shed with no covering like an idiot back in my rookie banshee days when i was 20 and when i pulled it back out to re asemble, there was a rats nets in the crank case ( stored with cylinders off) i shoved a shop vac in there sucked it all out, then dumped premix  in there and used a rag to floss the crap out of everything with oil. ran like a champ for a long time after that. 

damn nice banshee life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro Tip - Clean the outside of the motor before opening it up. 

I cut a slit in a rag and put the rods through it to cover the open cases.  Been doing that ever since dealing with cageless wrist bearings on jetskis.  Its no good trying to fish those out of a case.

• Like 2

Pro Tip - Clean the outside of the motor before opening it up. 
I cut a slit in a rag and put the rods through it to cover the open cases.  Been doing that ever since dealing with cageless wrist bearings on jetskis.  Its no good trying to fish those out of a case.

Yup, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk