Cheap jugs

Damann

Have you ever been to a demo derby? Enough said. Older cars had better steal. So why not older jugs and the sleves inside them being made from better metal then an $100 pair of ebay jugs you can buy today? They are cheap for a reason. Don't think they (cheap jugs) could support a port job and 75hp? Or am I incorrect?

13 hours ago, Damann said:

Have you ever been to a demo derby? Enough said. Older cars had better steal. So why not older jugs and the sleves inside them being made from better metal then an $100 pair of ebay jugs you can buy today? They are cheap for a reason. Don't think they (cheap jugs) could support a port job and 75hp? Or am I incorrect?

You really don't have a clue what you are trying to say. Older cars don't have better steel, they have more steel, big difference. Newer cylinders have way better steel in them that the older OEM, buy a pair of driveline cylinders and be done with it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Damann said:

One of the site sponsors sells ported chinese cylinders.  I think AZ Parts or BP racing.  You could ask them what they are getting HP wise.

Edited by Damann

5 hours ago, Keno said:

One of the site sponsors sells ported chinese cylinders.  I think AZ Parts or BP racing.  You could ask them what they are getting HP wise.

Will do.. AZ sells a lot of top end kits. I figured on a banshee forum, someone would have spent $100 for cheap jugs pistons, and would know what they were or were not about

Why would you spent $300-500 to port $100 jugs? If you insist on using those assemble the top end and leak test and squish test before you have them ported. Also make sure whoever ports them knows how to measure the port timing and chamfer the ports. The problem isn't with the jugs breaking, its that the quality control is so low. I've seen sets with large amounts of voids, uneven ports, head studs misaligned, uneven decks etc. To save $100 over buy used oem cylinders you're taking a big risk for a little gain. You aren't going to get anyone around here to tell you its a good idea. 

7 hours ago, 97Screamer said:

Why would you spent $300-500 to port $100 jugs? If you insist on using those assemble the top end and leak test and squish test before you have them ported. Also make sure whoever ports them knows how to measure the port timing and chamfer the ports. The problem isn't with the jugs breaking, its that the quality control is so low. I've seen sets with large amounts of voids, uneven ports, head studs misaligned, uneven decks etc. To save $100 over buy used oem cylinders you're taking a big risk for a little gain. You aren't going to get anyone around here to tell you its a good idea. 

Totally agree. Thank you for the advice.. i didn't want to use cheap jugs for porting, just have them layong around.Just wanted to see if anyone else had used cheap jugs for simple rebuild or have modded a cheap jug.. just trying to figure out what to do with the top end kit

3 hours ago, ZillaFreak said:

Why not just use driveline top end?

Because I have a set of cheap Chinese jugs idk what to do with. I have an OEM set but piston I took out said 65.45mm. only one more rebuild before it needs re-sleved. Too much money.I also have a set of OEM jugs still at stock 64mm. And I have a set of wiesco pro lite 64.5 pistons.. why pay for extra driveline money when I just need a set of jugs ported to fit new pistons. Plan to use the driveline stealth head. Won't know dome size to use until I get them ported.