New setup way off.

brock42

Just got done changing out DG pipes to toomey t5s. The previous owner had a pod setup and was running 25 pilots and 220 mains. I changed to the airbox with no lid and the k&n pro flow setup I installed 300 mains and 27.5 pilots to start my plug chop. First off it was a lil hard to start than the previous setup. it started and idled real  high if I pulled the choke it would idle back down. I've checked the  choke tube and made sure the slides are installed correct. My question is if I'm gonna be running the airbox and filter setup does it need to be installed while making these adjustments or can I get the mixture screw right and sync the carbs and then put the box on. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tors is removed and I have my idle screw barley making contact with the slide. I also have my cable adjusted so there is no tension on the cable. Previous owner had pods with 25 pilots and 220 mains. I think he was way lean however I changed exhaust and added the air box with pro flow filter and read up on jetting so decided to start with 300 main and 27.5 pilots and it's reving like it's lean but I also tried 30 pilots with the same outcome. I'm not sure if it matters but when I'm doing my adjusting I do not have the airbox on yet it's just straight into the carb so do I need to put the airbox and filter on to make these adjustments. 

Edited by brock42

Figured I may have a air leak.  I leak down tested and it held 6psi well over 10 min before I released pressure. My plugs are old I'm gonna try a new set tomorrow and see if that could have anything to do with it. I will have to pull the air box back off to sync carbs with the sync tool Correct 

Sounds like the basics have been mentioned. However, did you need to wrestle the air box in? It's possible you cracked an intake boot and have an air leak and that is what's causing the lean hang on idle. The switch you made should definitely not be idling high unless carbs were adjusted or a cable is out of place. If all that's good, look in to the air leak.