Am I Shutting Banshee Off Correctly??

I have heard of 2 Correct ways of turning off the Banshee

Method 1- Turn engine and key off and then turn gas to off position. 

This method will obviously leave gas in carbs....

OR

Method 2- Turn gas to off position and let the remainder gas burn off until quad shuts off; then kick it again pulling choke out to burn anything left while tethering throttle...

From what i have heard; over time the first method will create gummy build up in the carbs quicker but the second method makes the engine run with minimal or no lubrication as the gas burns off, creating excessive wear and tear on the pistons or cylinders...

Do either of these theories make sense or is only one of these right???

Do the pistons get lubrication from the gear/clutch oil too??

If it makes a difference.  I start my Banshee once a week and take it for a quick five minute ride. So its not sitting in storage for months at a time without a start. 

I would love to hear what experience anyone has had and if anyone has any pointers or tips for me it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks All

I dont know... 

For years i would just shut it off and put it away in my garage until i rode it again; which was normally that next weekend.

Last week at the yamaha dealer the service guy told me i was doing it wrong and then instructed me to turn the gas to off position and burn the gas out...(Method 2)

I dont know alot about 2 strokes and still learning. which is why i wrote this post; really looking for some good advice..

I dont know... 
For years i would just shut it off and put it away in my garage until i rode it again; which was normally that next weekend.
Last week at the yamaha dealer the service guy told me i was doing it wrong and then instructed me to turn the gas to off position and burn the gas out...(Method 2)

I dont know alot about 2 strokes and still learning. which is why i wrote this post; really looking for some good advice..

No no no. You can switch the fuel off if you want. I only switch mine off while trailering. But do not run the bowls dry. And starve it for fuel. Your engine lubrication is in your fuel. If one carb goes dry first the motor will run on one cylinder and the second cylinder runs without lubrication until the other carb runs dry. You will scar the cylinders little by little each time you do this.

The carbs may need to be cleaned periodically but this is routine maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Baileycakes said:

I have heard of 2 Correct ways of turning off the Banshee

Method 1- Turn engine and key off and then turn gas to off position. 

This method will obviously leave gas in carbs....

OR

Method 2- Turn gas to off position and let the remainder gas burn off until quad shuts off; then kick it again pulling choke out to burn anything left while tethering throttle...

From what i have heard; over time the first method will create gummy build up in the carbs quicker but the second method makes the engine run with minimal or no lubrication as the gas burns off, creating excessive wear and tear on the pistons or cylinders...

Do either of these theories make sense or is only one of these right???

Do the pistons get lubrication from the gear/clutch oil too??

If it makes a difference.  I start my Banshee once a week and take it for a quick five minute ride. So its not sitting in storage for months at a time without a start. 

I would love to hear what experience anyone has had and if anyone has any pointers or tips for me it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks All

On the long road do you prefer to do maintenance work only on the carburetors or the whole top end? Running cylinder with little gas/oil does extensive damage on the top end, also I encounter that almost dry bowls, jets, etc are easier to get clogged and get hardened than moist ones. Even on a regular 4 stroke engine running with less gas than needed 14.7 air to fuel ratio to be exactly overheats the engine, and also pre-ignites. That's why when banshees are running low on fuel they start sounding louder, leaner engines run stronger but get destroyed. In the short run it shouldn't do that much damage, I used to do the same thing but we learn from our mistakes.

using the bowl drains is obviously the ideal way to drain carbs but honestly im usually too lazy.  On the last ride of a trip ill usually shut the fuel off about 50 yards from camp and just cruise in.  Bike usually will idle a short bit then die.  I dont try to keep restarting it to get every little bit out and have never had a problem with a gummed up carb bowl.  As far as doing damage to bottom end i have no concerns. My 250R has the original 86 bottom end in it still.  If you have ever pulled one of these things apart you will see a pretty decent amount of oil sitting in the bottom end.  At least i always have.  

I also think that an empty bowl allows the film of gas left to evaporate which leaves behind the oil to dry and get gummy. A full bowl will have less chance to evaporate. Same as when you store a car or a boat, store it with a full tank of fuel. Less evaporation and less condensation in the tank. I never drain any of my bowls. I never have an issue with my carbs. I clean my ally carbs often but they never sit with methanol in them for long periods. I purge after every use and they sit with gas in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1