Stator test results

R0dd

How did you clean the stator?  Wire brush?  That would be a no-no.  When above member mentioned cleaning, he was referring to the contacts where you probed the wire and such.  Cleaning the outside of the coils will not affect the reading but you could have damaged the lacquer coating on the wires, which will show up as shorted.  

Make certain of your meter settings.  At a reading of 27ohms, that is nearly a guarantee that the stator is fine.  You likely just had a minor contact issue or internal resistance in the meter.  You may also have caused an electrical bridge somewhere when you cleaned it, like at the plug possibly?  

I didn't touch the stator yet, cover is still on. I just used some carb cleaner and a brush to clean the contacts in the clip. Today after kicking it a few times to try and start it I unplugged the stator and re tested. It jumped up to 3.2. Idk what's going on.

Never do any low ohms testing without putting the meter probes together to see what that reads and that it is stable.  If the value is all over the place, you need to rectify that first.  

If you truly have 3.2ohms, you have 2 options, pull use a needle to depress the small lock tab on the pin in the white plug and remove it for better testing, or open the side cover so you can do more testing.  3.2ohms is not going to work and indicates a partially shorted coil.  

In some cases, I have recommended to just cut the red/green wires so you can eliminate the plug as the culprit.  Obviously if it is bad, you will replace all that anyway.  If you find it good after cutting, then test backwards and fix the plug and resolder the connection with shrink and ride.  

We never replace a stator until we test right inside the stator because most problems we have found were just the solder connections in the stator, but they certainly do fail.  

Ok took the wires out of the clip and the meter fluctuates from 5.91 to 6.15. I know it's not the meter because I test everything else and it seems perfect. It's only when I test the red and green wire.

Edited by R0dd