97 banshee not starting up

Telonbros101

So one day I took my bike out riding and out of no where I bike just died in full speed, I was like wtf. So I tried starting it up again and nothing. Then couple kicks later it turn right on and then rode for like 1 minute and gave out again had gas in it. So I went home and ever since then then bike has started once and died from there no start at all. I changed out the coil and spark plugs. I don't know what to do next or look for. So im sure somewhere out there had the same issue as me. I want to fix it because glamis season is here. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before any of these issues, the bike turned on first kick and idled good. After not riding for months it started doing this and now it won't turn on at all. No idle no spark at the spark plugs, my gas cap tube broke so it's just a stubby on the cap. I took off my spark plugs and I see that there wet of gas.

This is the order I would go in.

Check for spark first. Weak spark will make it difficult to start

If no spark, start checking grounds first. (I've also had my coil wires pop off the + - terminals before)

If you have good spark

Pull fuel line from petcock, put a cup under and turn gas on to make sure there's a good flow.

Check choke tube between carbs didn't come off.

Make sure carbs are synced and caps are on tight, intake boot clamps are tight

Pilot or main jet could be plugged up.

If you pull carbs off, inspect your reeds. If the petals have a gap, chip, crack, etc. it won't want to start.

If you have spark and everything else checks out, throw some new plugs in and see if it fires.

If nothing still, leak down test.

Compression test.

I took off plugs and grounded them to see if I get a spark when kicked over and I don't see nothing. Wires on coil are orange and black does it matter which one goes where or no difference? I recently installed new coil and plugs. And still nothing but I'm not getting a spark. Do I need to check if stator is bad or good and what do I look for when checking stator.

OK I'll take it off again and check for positive and negative marking, but which wires go where on what post, I have a orange wire and a black wire going to the coil. And yes I do have a Milwaukee multimeter with beep when checking for ohms and continuity. What am I checking for? Keep in mind my coil is plugs are new

Orange is pos, black is neg. when you installed the new coil, do you have spark every kick or is it intermittent? (Every once in a while)

Like ginger said, check your flywheel and pick up gap. Pull the stator cover off (left side) there's a little black box. There's 2 tabs on the outside of the flywheel. When the tab passes the pick up coil there should be just a small gap between the two. I think it's supposed to be .018 or right around there anyway.

OK I will do that when I get home from work guys I'll keep you updated on progress. Ebay coil cost me 60 bucks off brand I'll say. But replacing coil bike would turn on every once in a while then nothing and I didn't get spark before changing the coil either.