Title Question

06SE_Shee

Thank you now I know, I had no idea before you mentioned it! So my bill of sale is my only proof of ownership?..

by law yes. If you dont have it contract a good notary. They will do a title search and probably a vin trace.. og owner(you) should get paper work in mail.. then take said paper work to notary and pow. Done

From my gathering checking with police is NOT the best route. Usually if an atv is reported stolen it will only go in the police log shit in the town it was reported in. (This info was past on to me by 2 different police depts.)

Best bet is to take vin to notary and have them submit it to dcnr.

From my gathering checking with police is NOT the best route. Usually if an atv is reported stolen it will only go in the police log shit in the town it was reported in. (This info was past on to me by 2 different police depts.)

Best bet is to take vin to notary and have them submit it to dcnr.

My brother is a cop. He won't run a vin. If it comes up stolen then it basically sets off a red flag.so now he better turn up with said stolen vehicle.

Just a heads up for guys not registering bikes!! What happens with atvs/motorcycles is when the bike is not registered for a few years the vin history becomes impossible to look up. It basically becomes a nameless vin making it fair game as long as it is not a stolen bike. How I know this is because I was just in a shitty situation with a yfz450 I was selling on Craigslist and the scaming pos who was trying to buy/steal it was up on his game. He knew about the loophole and looks for bikes with no titles just getting sold with a bill of sale. What he did was had me send him a picture of the vin and a video of the bike running with the vin in the video as well. Now he delayed the meeting a few days and went down to the dmv to fill out an mv51b here in ny. This form is the one you fill out if you don't have proof of title. So here in ny if you register an atv with a title you get a transferable reg, just as good as title and if brought to a state where titles are issued you will receive one. But with the form he filled out you get a non transferable reg meaning you didn't have a title but the vin is not stolen and the history on it has no name so you work your way around that. He filled out a bill of sale probably from Joe Schmo grabbed that mv51b at the dmv had all the pictures of the vin and a video of the bike with vin maybe even owns a stamp kit and stamped the numbers in steel so he could provide a trace on paper as well to show the bike is in his possession. This all went well for him at the dmv and he was able to register my bike!!!! So he sets the meeting up I come there with the bike and two cop cars pull up to me. They tell me they have this piece of shit in the back and he's claiming that my bike is his. I laughed and then they pulled out the reg which was from that day he registered it the day of the meeting this pos. Then I knew shit was not going to go well. Lucky for me I'm a fireman the guy I brought with me was a cop and my brother and I are both combat vets. The cops def gave us courtesy and knew something was up because he has pulled this same thing numerous times and gotten away with a few bikes. Could you imagine getting your bike stolen this way with the cops assisting! Anyway all I had was a bill of sale for 2 years ago (which I didn't have on me)and he had the reg for the bike. The new shakebox Sgt. on scene decided to confiscate the bike even though the patrol cops wanted to let me go. She told me its a civil court issue now because of owner discrepancy and I was ready to lose my mind but kept my cool. Talked the patrol guys after she left and after they told that dirtbag to go home and come to the precinct tomorrow. They assisted me on getting my bike back thank god. They vouchered it in my name and said just come back with the previous bill of sale and I'll be able to get it out and take it home that night. So I ran home made up a bill of sale and was able to get my bike back. They felt horrible because they realized what this pos has been doing. He had no police report on the bike being stolen and I think all the Sgt wanted to see to actually release the bike to him was a bill of sale which is insane. This dick was cool as a fan the whole time too because he had the paperwork. After I got the bike back we called him and had some choice words with him but never told him we got the bike back. His response back was why you mad your bike got housed, you mad your bike got stoled i got me a brand new bike. Ghetto fuckin jerkoff. Turns out though the cops were pretty pissed off about this and when he came to pick his brand new bike up they locked his ghetto ass up for grand larceny, falsifying documents and a few other things. Been in contact with the arresting officers and the Ada sending them all the texts and I'm going to make a request to see exactly how he registered it. Btw the dmv is not on my side as far as the dmv is concerned it is his bike! I was snapping on them asking how they could allow a loophole like that. So I have a bike now that is registered in this dicks name and now because there was a recent registration on the bike it is locked into his name. Moral of the story if you have a bike that hasn't been registered in a few years chances are the vin shows no history and you can probably get it registered in your name with little effort because you can make whoever you want the previous owner. If you still don't care about registering which most ppl don't do not send your vin number to anybody looking to buy it. I'm still in shock of what just went on these last couple of days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here in ill if u get poped by 5.0 and they tow your shit most of the time they ask for title or will not release the quad to u. That why i allways try and have a title even know i tend to out run them anyways lol. Would be a shame to foul a plug or break a xhain ect.wile runnibg though and get it towed then it gone.

Running is a felony here. Kind of didn't think much about that in my younger years when it was a constant thing to run.

i never knew that, it sucks cuz around here tgere realy hard on us and if u stop theyll tow ur shit and wright u a page of tikets.

I use to stop untill i found out theyll tow my shit and stick u with wat ever they can.

i never knew that, it sucks cuz around here tgere realy hard on us and if u stop theyll tow ur shit and wright u a page of tikets.

I use to stop untill i found out theyll tow my shit and stick u with wat ever they can.

Anyone want to wage the political stance of this guy?