LT vs ST is it worth it for the LT premium on a Banshee?

barry1me

I was looking to do a Tyson +4 inch rear with stock rear.  I need to call fireball, and Alba tomorrow to get the scoop on travel difference of ST vs LT.  If its only .6 inches more on a +2+1 then I will just go with the ST.  

Tyler what do you think of the Float 3 vs Evol R vs Evol RC2?

two options below Im considering.  I dont plan to do any competitive racing.  Just ripping around at Silver lake sand dunes, some trails (maybe 2 times a year), and around family property.

ST Fox Evol R

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361193281646

LSR long travel with Elka Stage 3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSR-Lone-Star-DC-4-Long-Travel-A-Arms-Elka-Stage-3-Front-Shocks-Kit-Banshee-350-/381462769015?vxp=mtr&hash=item58d0f3ed77

I was looking to do a Tyson +4 inch rear with stock rear.  I need to call fireball, and Alba tomorrow to get the scoop on travel difference of ST vs LT.  If its only .6 inches more on a +2+1 then I will just go with the ST.  ]

Call Alba if you'd like, but I suggest you call the Elka tech line too. Not their sales line, the tech line. You'll probably have to leave a message with your number. I did this several times and they always got back to me within a day. I have more confidence in the info I got from Elka than Alba.

• Like 1

Call Alba if you'd like, but I suggest you call the Elka tech line too. Not their sales line, the tech line. You'll probably have to leave a message with your number. I did this several times and they always got back to me within a day. I have more confidence in the info I got from Elka than Alba.

I will do both.  I want to understand difference between stage 3 and the legacy also...is the only difference a steel body!?.

I will do both.  I want to understand difference between stage 3 and the legacy also...is the only difference a steel body!?.

Don't know much about that, except that Elka describes their Legacy shocks as based on their previous designs, whatever that means. I'm sure there are others here with more info. Also a good question to ask Alba and Elka when you talk to them. The Legacy shocks fit my budget so I never looked into the newer ones.

• Like 1

Shocks are the same price. The elkas are $950 for any sports quad. When you fill out the order forms, they ask for a arms setup and swingarm.

As for the .6" difference. That is a difference. What is another $120 on a $1300 order?

If its only $120 then I agree, you do get some more travel, for not much cost....but will that little bit more of travel be noticeable?  IDK,maybe, maybe not.

Legacy is the new stage 3. Pretty elka dropped the old stage 3 and went with the legacy with the steel bodies to keep the price down.

The legacy shocks are $950 (used bansheehq promo code when checking out) for any sports quad.

Jds sells the alba a-arms long travel for $400.

So $1350 for set of shocks and aarms.

$1325 for this combo and includes stainless brake lines.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elka-Stage-3-Front-Shocks-Lone-Star-2-A-arms-Yamaha-Banshee-350-1991-2014-/140624491211?hash=item20bddf72cb:m:miuAweyT-kPP5ZciVtS2MUw&vxp=mtr

Doesn't include a rear shock... it is also only st not lt.

The combo I said included a rear shock just not ss lines. And ss lines are cheap compared to a shock.

ahhh...Im on JDS website Im not seeing shocks on there, but I do see the $400 arms.  I see this on ebay $999

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-BANSHEE-YFZ350-ELKA-SUSPENSION-FRONT-REAR-SHOCKS-KIT-STAGE-3-/331482883623?hash=item4d2deb6627:g:ZFgAAOSwPYZU9m9i&vxp=mtr

I was looking to do a Tyson +4 inch rear with stock rear.  I need to call fireball, and Alba tomorrow to get the scoop on travel difference of ST vs LT.  If its only .6 inches more on a +2+1 then I will just go with the ST.  

Tyler what do you think of the Float 3 vs Evol R vs Evol RC2?

two options below Im considering.  I dont plan to do any competitive racing.  Just ripping around at Silver lake sand dunes, some trails (maybe 2 times a year), and around family property.

ST Fox Evol R

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361193281646

LSR long travel with Elka Stage 3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSR-Lone-Star-DC-4-Long-Travel-A-Arms-Elka-Stage-3-Front-Shocks-Kit-Banshee-350-/381462769015?vxp=mtr&hash=item58d0f3ed77

I would go with the Fox setup hands down. i have run Elka Stage 3 and 5 and much prefer the Fox shocks over them.

This is the rear shock we use - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fox-Shocks-Factory-Series-2-0-Podium-RC2-Rear-Yamaha-Banshee-350-1987-2014-/400728827872?fits=Make%3AYamaha&hash=item5d4d4ca7e0:g:sZIAAOSwhh5Tohxv&vxp=mtr

We run the same shock on both our +8 hillclimb setups and our +14 drag bikes. They have a HUGE range of adjustability.

Barry, just so you know, that ebay link to the fox evol shocks is for a yfz and not a banshee.

Thanks man, good catch.

Im going to call elka tomorrow to discuss LT vs ST, legacy vs stage 3, then call alba and confirm.  Im leaning towards alba as I like springs better then air.  I have a 15 Honda CRF250r with Showa Tac air forks and I get annoyed having to check air pressure in both inner and outer chambers before every ride.  I do like the adjustability of the showa setup but I like to just sit it and forget it...you cant do that with that fork.  Maybe the Fox system is not as bad as the showa TAC.

Shocks are atvgalaxy.com use promo code bansheehq when checking out. You get 5% off your order.

http://atvgalaxy.com/atvs/suspension/suspension-kits/elka-shocks-stage-3-front-and-rear-shocks-suspension-kit-sport-atv.html

Everytime I try and go down the drop downs to select the correct setup the drop downs freeze up on this site for me.  I have noticed this the past few days.

• Like 1

"I dont plan to do any competitive racing.  Just ripping around at Silver lake sand dunes, some trails (maybe 2 times a year), and around family property."

I don't have experience with these Fox shocks personally, but they seem to share similar design characteristics as the Fox 2.5's they run on buggy's in the respect that there seems to be very little damping fluid relative to suspension travel.  They get hot quick and require frequent maintenance to change out the fluid.  On the upside, the buggy shocks are a do-it-yourself inexpensive kit.  Again... IDK if the ATV shocks have the same maintenance convenience.

I'd imagine that for someone wanting to do what you're looking to do --  the Fox would be just fine in either length.  I agree with Tyler with his choice of shock for hillshooting or dragging because of their infinite "of the spot" adjustability with air pressure, however that's one of the reasons I wouldn't want them for long rides.  Unless they were nitrogen filled, they would get stiffer as they heat up.  I see it happen all the time to the buggy guys I ride with.

For me... I chose a spring type shock with reservoirs (custom Axis) and beat the crap out of them with regularity.  I go on 1+hour rides and damping consistency is important to me.  I have not regretted my decision.

As to the LT question... it doesn't seem to really be a factor for your riding requirements.  You'd have to be able to justify the additional shock weight vs. performance improvement I'd think...

• Like 1

"I dont plan to do any competitive racing.  Just ripping around at Silver lake sand dunes, some trails (maybe 2 times a year), and around family property."

I don't have experience with these Fox shocks personally, but they seem to share similar design characteristics as the Fox 2.5's they run on buggy's in the respect that there seems to be very little damping fluid relative to suspension travel.  They get hot quick and require frequent maintenance to change out the fluid.  On the upside, the buggy shocks are a do-it-yourself inexpensive kit.  Again... IDK if the ATV shocks have the same maintenance convenience.

I'd imagine that for someone wanting to do what you're looking to do --  the Fox would be just fine in either length.  I agree with Tyler with his choice of shock for hillshooting or dragging because of their infinite "of the spot" adjustability with air pressure, however that's one of the reasons I wouldn't want them for long rides.  Unless they were nitrogen filled, they would get stiffer as they heat up.  I see it happen all the time to the buggy guys I ride with.

For me... I chose a spring type shock with reservoirs (custom Axis) and beat the crap out of them with regularity.  I go on 1+hour rides and damping consistency is important to me.  I have not regretted my decision.

As to the LT question... it doesn't seem to really be a factor for your riding requirements.  You'd have to be able to justify the additional shock weight vs. performance improvement I'd think...

That is an awesome explanation.  I like a soft ride in the whoops and rough, that was what was steering me towards the LT.  I have ridden 3-5 hour trail rides on my honda with CRF air forks and it only uses air.  I have not noticed any kind of change in performance during the ride, but then again maybe Im not good enough to notice.