Vernier Calipers

PaymentPlan

Get dial calipers. As far as brands go, stick with starett, brown and sharp. The new mitt stuff is kinda janky imo. Again, what do you need them for?

Future builds and projects. I plan on building my own engines from scratch after I get my SS done and I really want to develop a strong foundation of knowledge for these machines. I don't want to leave anything out that I can learn. I want to cover this from a to z. I'm reading through this Clymer and it's very intriguing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Future builds and projects. I plan on building my own engines from scratch after I get my SS done and I really want to develop a strong foundation of knowledge for these machines. I don't want to leave anything out that I can learn. I want to cover this from a to z. I'm reading through this Clymer and it's very intriguing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Be sure to get bore mics and a set of 1-6 inch o.d. mics too.

precision measuring tools are something you rarely need unless you open a shop and work on engines daily but theyre nice to have around for the once a year occasion. look for some used mito stuff on ebay. that will probly be your best deal on half decent tools. sure you can buy better stuff and spend thousands but that would be foolish for what youll be using them for. stay away from cheap ebay stuff from china. shars and fowler are junk. some other no name junk stuff on there

for most anything you would do with a banshee  the cheapo digital will be fine.   your not building from scratch anything and needing it to be within .00001 tolerance and then selling the parts for hundreds of thousands of dollaz..

all you need to do is measure rough bore sizes,, maybe carb throat sizes,  and squish clearance.   a decent quality inside bore mic would be good for piston to wall clearance. and outside mic  those can be just analog. 

untill you get into crank rebuilds and checking clearances on gear shafts and out of round stuff as stated in that clymers you will be just fine.  if your venturing down that road better get some $ together.  for most any normal work your going to do  that basic shit will be just fine.  one of your better tools probably not stated in there is a leak down tester  and a synch tool.  i use those more than anything mostly

cam is right about the cheapo stuff getting the job done for what youll be using them for but if you keep your eyes open youll find used decent quality stuff on ebay for not much more than cheapo stuff. that's the better way to go imo. the three tools I would get is bore gauge to double check machinists work. micrometer for checking pistons nad caliper for measuring odd and ends. as for measuring tools I doubt youll need more tools than these but you can buy what ever you feel necessary. depending how deep in engine work you plan to go, theres a lot of specialty tools you would want.

sometimes you can find nice stuff at pawn shops also.  BUT have to look at that stuff very carefully  and not pay way to damn much for it.  they seem to think sometimes that its worth buckets of cash...

purchased a few very very nice starret tools at a few in larger city's   along with some nice tooling holders at some salvage places..   i'm no machinist but it sure is fun so far. !  lots and lots of reading and just practicing on small stuff i needed.  i made a lot of t nuts one night for a rotary table  yea i know they are cheap  but it was great practice