Cryo and coatings

tfaith08

I'm saving for a ported 4mil serval on race gas, pro-mod trans, etc., and was wondering whether I should include cryo-treating and coatings in the budget. 

I'm convinced that it works, just 100% sure that it will be of any substantial benefit to MY application.  So far, I've come up with these:

-TBC (thermal barrier coating) on the crown, domes, and exhaust ports

-Oil shedding coatings on some of the following: rods, cases, underside of the pistons (unsure of which yet)

-Cryo-treat crank, rods, and cases

Next, I probably won't be doing these:

-I have found 2 research papers that state that cryo-treating will alter all aluminum alloys yet will do so in different ways depending on grade, so that's a no-go.

-Moly and poly-moly coatings absolutely work, but will alter tolerances = not gonna deal with it

-I've found numerous forum entries on several forums that state wildly varying conclusions on cryo-treating gears, so I'm gonna chalk that up to application variables and the different user's attention to detail during assembly skewing the results.

Am I too far off track here?  Is there somethign that I'm overlooking?  Thanks in advance.

Who is building ur mtr? I wouldn't do anything extra unless it's a race mtr.

I'm buying all the components from FAST and he'll likely be the one to port it.  He doesn't advertise pro-mod cutting and I haven't asked him about it, so I may send the trans and cylinders to Redline. Alternatively, the trans will be going to camatv and Jeff will port it.  I'll be assembling it though.  I'm building it strictly to race in open 2-stroke MX. 

Not necessary for whatever it is that you're building.

I can still see the factory hone marks in my cylinders and have only lost 1% of the compression since I bought it new.  I've had 90ish tanks through it, so if that's any indication as to how long the engine will last, the timescale won't be a matter of races, it'll be a matter of seasons.  Cryo is going to be 300-500 and coating is gonna be about $150.  If that gets me one additional season out of it, it'll be worth it to me.

Sure....... Reinvent the wheel....... Why not!

Can you elaborate?  I'm sure there are at least 2 members on here that have done it and numerous guys over on 2strokeworld have a lot of good to say about it.  I'm not trying to do anythying groundbreaking, I'm trying to do a little extra to make it more reliable.  I'm in no hurry to have it done either so as far as I see it, it's a matter of whether I should work an extra day and a half of overtime to get what I'm asking about.

Cryo is legit, thermal barrier and anti friction coatings can save a motor when/if something goes wrong. It won't make you all kinds of extra power, but if you can afford it the peace of mind why not.

That's what I'm looking for.

What hp you shooting for?

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?/topic/178758-redline-421-race-gas-serval/ 

That's the build that I'm copying.  Not necessarily a number but a power curve.  I need enough power no matter where I find myself on the track.  I've found that there are a few tracks around here that you need some big, big power for.  I also want enough power to outrun most dirt bikes since I often have to share a track with them on practice days.

"Race" motor to be used in a specific class, yet is looking to run it more than a season....... Yeah, you'll be competitive! Does your plan for tire exchange follow the same intervals?

I'm so glad you chimed in, idk what I was thinking. 

I'm building it very specifically to race in AMA Junior (25+) 201cc-open ATV MX and outpower everything that is likely to pop up.  I'm currently going through a set of 18" MXR6 Holeshot rears every 1-3 months depending on the track we go to.  I've got a stack of 4 more after this set goes, so my tire plan does not match my expectations in longevity that I expect from my engine.  Idk where you'd get such an erroneous thought.