Diesel Pickup Thread

87sheerips

Nice, i just rebuilt  my NV5600.  If it starts making any noise go through it sooner rather than later.  They have a habit of wiping out the rear mainshaft bearing and breaking 6th gear when towed heavy.  You can help prevent the former by changing oil and overfilling by a quart when you refill.  Fill that last quart through the shift tower. 

There's a better fix for this...new F450
  • Like 2

Nice, i just rebuilt  my NV5600.  If it starts making any noise go through it sooner rather than later.  They have a habit of wiping out the rear mainshaft bearing and breaking 6th gear when towed heavy.  You can help prevent the former by changing oil and overfilling by a quart when you refill.  Fill that last quart through the shift tower. 

Yea, the 3rd,5th,and 6 syncro's don't work very well in it.(none I looked at did)
Doesn't make any real noise goin down the road. But still planning on goin through it after the New Years. For now I've been readin about using amsoil mtf in these? Figure I'll drain it and put some new to try an stretch out the whole rebuilding thing.
Around how much did that run ya? Been reading it'll be about any where in the neighborhood of 2000-3500 depending what's all thrashed.
Just tryin to get an idea.

I do plan on some glow shift gauges(mixed reviews) and a fass lift pump. Any other good preventive parts I should be lookin at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/10/2017 at 0:29 AM, LaegerEliminator said:

Oh REALLY?!?!

I dont want to jump ship but ford is the only 1 of the 3 that you can get a bed from the factory on a 450/4500 class truck.  Id like the heavier truck for when im towing but do not want to deal with the flat bed bullshit.  Still really on the fence on if its worth it but who knows.  My opinion changes daily.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 5:00 PM, 99michael said:

Yea, the 3rd,5th,and 6 syncro's don't work very well in it.(none I looked at did)
Doesn't make any real noise goin down the road. But still planning on goin through it after the New Years. For now I've been readin about using amsoil mtf in these? Figure I'll drain it and put some new to try an stretch out the whole rebuilding thing.
Around how much did that run ya? Been reading it'll be about any where in the neighborhood of 2000-3500 depending what's all thrashed.
Just tryin to get an idea.

I do plan on some glow shift gauges(mixed reviews) and a fass lift pump. Any other good preventive parts I should be lookin at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rebuilt it myself so i had about 1500+/- in parts/fluids incidentals in it.  If nothing is broken you would have about 800 to 1000 in rebuild parts depending on supplier plus labor. I replaced all the bearings, all the synchros, the 6th gear synchro blocker as well as 6th gear itself.  I also put all new thrust washers and some small parts in it.  The fluid alone is anywhere from 13 to 22 bucks a quart depending on where you buy it.  Personally i will only run the mopar fluid or pennzoil synchromesh (mopar is rebranded synchromesh BTW) and can be had for about 1/2 what the dealer charges.  You can get the synchromesh off amazon for about 12.99/qt.   Ive seen rebuilt units from 2600 to 4000.  The cheaper units make me leary, i have a feeling their idea of a rebuilt is simply to throw synchros and the roller bearings in it and throw it back together.   Most "rebuilt kits" dont come with the needle bearings or small parts.  Changing the fluid is a very good idea as is overfilling by at least a quart.  The synchros in that transmission are steel with a bronze lining sort of like a metalic clutch material.  When they fail that material runs free through that trans as there is no filter.  Unfortunately there are some oil passages in the input, main and countershafts that direct oil to various bearings.  They can be clogged by that synchro material (a couple of mine were) so like i said earlier if you start to hear any noise rebuilt it sooner rather than later so you dont grenade anything.  I really put mine off too long but luckily did it before there was anything catastrophic.  You could see a couple of the bearings were showing signs of heat from lack of lubrication.   AS far as other upgrades to the truck the achilles heel has always been failed lift pumps.  There are a bazzillion solutions but monitoring fuel pressure should really be considered mandatory for that model year.  You dont want to starve that injection pump of fuel.  Trans install on that truck being 2wd is a piece of cake once you get yours rebuilt.  Couple hours in and out.  Id probably put a rear main and a clutch in it while you have it out for sure.  If you plan on adding power get an upgraded clutch.  The stock unit really wont hold shit for power.

I dont want to jump ship but ford is the only 1 of the 3 that you can get a bed from the factory on a 450/4500 class truck.  Id like the heavier truck for when im towing but do not want to deal with the flat bed bullshit.  Still really on the fence on if its worth it but who knows.  My opinion changes daily.

I highly doubt that you would regret a 450 Ford for your towing needs.

There's a very noticeable gain in towing stability and handlong manners going from my DRW F350 to my 550 pulling my heavy gooseneck.

The brakes are definitely stronger too.

24 minutes ago, LaegerEliminator said:

I highly doubt that you would regret a 450 Ford for your towing needs.

There's a very noticeable gain in towing stability and handlong manners going from my DRW F350 to my 550 pulling my heavy gooseneck.

The brakes are definitely stronger too.

No doubt, the question is not whether ill love the 450 for towing, its how much will i hate it for daily driving.  I dont tow my 5th wheel a whole lot  as i dont seem to be camping or riding much anymore.  When i haul my gooseneck its usually only from farm to farm (less than 20 miles) and not all that often really.  So the question is will the benefit outweigh the pain in the ass.  I guess if i was a baller id get a 1/2 ton for daily and then a dedicated tow rig but fuck all that wasted monies.

• Like 1

No doubt, the question is not whether ill love the 450 for towing, its how much will i hate it for daily driving.  I dont tow my 5th wheel a whole lot  as i dont seem to be camping or riding much anymore.  When i haul my gooseneck its usually only from farm to farm (less than 20 miles) and not all that often really.  So the question is will the benefit outweigh the pain in the ass.  I guess if i was a baller id get a 1/2 ton for daily and then a dedicated tow rig but fuck all that wasted monies.

My 550 rides and drives surprisingly well. Very smooth. But it has a heavy steel flatbed on it with boxes full of tools. The truck is 12,500 lbs without fuel in the slip tank.

It would be worth asking@f1hdr how his 450 pickup road empty before he converted it to the service body.

The main thing for daily driving is the rear end gearing. I think the 450 pickups come standard with 4:30 gears. I'm not sure if the new alumaduties offer other options...?

My 550 has 4:88's, which is perfect for heavy towing, but definitely too low for dd use.

I plan to add a Gear Vendors overdrive to my 550 for driving empty which will give me the equivalent of 3:73. That will greatly improve milage and extend motor life when running empty.

1 minute ago, LaegerEliminator said:

My 550 rides and drives surprisingly well. Very smooth. But it has a heavy steel flatbed on it with boxes full of tools. The truck is 12,500 lbs without fuel in the slip tank.

It would be worth asking@f1hdr how his 450 pickup road empty before he converted it to the service body.

The main thing for daily driving is the rear end gearing. I think the 450 pickups come standard with 4:30 gears. I'm not sure if the new alumaduties offer other options...?

My 550 has 4:88's, which is perfect for heavy towing, but definitely too low for dd use.

I plan to add a Gear Vendors overdrive to my 550 for driving empty which will give me the equivalent of 3:73. That will greatly improve milage and extend motor life when running empty.

Yeah im not sure what is available gearing wise, havent even gotten that serious.  That doesnt concern me as much as just the hassle of driving a damn truck thats 23 feet long and wide as fuck.  I have to park in a parking structure at work, that is what i think will drive me batshit crazy.

Yeah im not sure what is available gearing wise, havent even gotten that serious.  That doesnt concern me as much as just the hassle of driving a damn truck thats 23 feet long and wide as fuck.  I have to park in a parking structure at work, that is what i think will drive me batshit crazy.

You will surprised at how well they turn and navigate especially for a crew cab.

That Dana super 60 front axle allows those trucks to turn very sharp. This drastically improves how they feel and their tight access maneuvering.

My 550 will turn almost as sharp as my two regular cab trucks that have the old school Dana 60.

Its those wide ass hips that will get me in trouble.  A single wheel truck fills the spaces. Parking in the oversized lot is not an option for me.  Its in the back of the hospital and basically ignored by security.  Thing would be stolen or vandalized inside a week gauranteed.  Fucking ghetto ass town.  Just glad i dont live there anymore.