Diesel Pickup Thread

87sheerips

I'm not saying they are all pieces of shit, however what I am saying that in all of my experiences they have been. If someone else wants to buy one, by all means go for it. As far as I'm concerned though I will most likely buy something else. I just figured I'd share a few memories so nobody thought I was biased.

My brothers ford had the dissapearing spark plug trick too.  Its such a common problem they make a special kit to put new threads in the head.  Once fixed it seems to stay fixed though

I think the ford trucks themselves are nice, really nice actually.  My problem with ford is the drivetrain.  They seem to use their customers to iron out their problems with motor issues.  They  have had major fucking internal issues with every diesel they have ever put in a truck. They should have bought a good motor from a diesel vendor and moved the fuck on 30 years ago. Im hearing good stuff about the 6.7 except for mileage but lets face it because of the EPA all the new trucks blow on mileage.  But fuck the 6.4 has top end issues that need fixing, the 6.0 needs studs EGR coolers and injectors to be ok, and even the fucking 7.3 that all you ford fags hold up as the holy grail had issues.  Whoever thought it would be a good idea to put powdered metal rods in the later model ones was a toolbag.  I have 2 friends that windowed 7.3s.  I will give it to the ford guys though.  You mother fuckers bleed blue and are loyal.  Both friends sold their blowed up 7.3s and bought 6 liters, both had problems and traded in on 6.4s and now are driving 6.7s  Maybe ford is smart, they are like meth dealers, they give you blue oval fuckers a little taste and know you will keep coming back for more even if you have to give handys on the corner to get some more. 

• Like 3

For the 6.4 mentors.

Another one I've been eyefucking.

Ebay item 311509788295

They are willing to take 23k. It's a bit higher mileage but also 7k cheaper. They also have the ability to stick an EGR delete and exhaust on it in house. Not the complete deal down to the manifolds and all but the programmer and exhaust of my choice.

Thoughts?

Here's another legit question.

Is a guy better off buying a sub 100k 6.4 or a mid 100k 6.7 if all is equal in price and condition?

Equal in price after you do the fixes to the 6.4?  I believe you said the seller could do the fixes on location right?  I think it probably get the lower mileage truck.  It just seems like 150k is about where all the annoying little gremlins outside the drivetrain seem to show up on vehicles.  

For the 6.4 mentors.

Another one I've been eyefucking.

Ebay item 311509788295

They are willing to take 23k. It's a bit higher mileage but also 7k cheaper. They also have the ability to stick an EGR delete and exhaust on it in house. Not the complete deal down to the manifolds and all but the programmer and exhaust of my choice.

Thoughts?

Great looking truck Green!  two tone FTW.

I think the ford trucks themselves are nice, really nice actually. My problem with ford is the drivetrain. They seem to use their customers to iron out their problems with motor issues. They have had major fucking internal issues with every diesel they have ever put in a truck. They should have bought a good motor from a diesel vendor and moved the fuck on 30 years ago. Im hearing good stuff about the 6.7 except for mileage but lets face it because of the EPA all the new trucks blow on mileage. But fuck the 6.4 has top end issues that need fixing, the 6.0 needs studs EGR coolers and injectors to be ok, and even the fucking 7.3 that all you ford fags hold up as the holy grail had issues. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to put powdered metal rods in the later model ones was a toolbag. I have 2 friends that windowed 7.3s. I will give it to the ford guys though. You mother fuckers bleed blue and are loyal. Both friends sold their blowed up 7.3s and bought 6 liters, both had problems and traded in on 6.4s and now are driving 6.7s Maybe ford is smart, they are like meth dealers, they give you blue oval fuckers a little taste and know you will keep coming back for more even if you have to give handys on the corner to get some more.

I'd like to hear some more info on your friends who windowed 7.3 blocks.

I can pretty much guarantee you those trucks were running aggressive tunes and most likey poorly done custom tuning intended to support other mods, like bigger injectors.

PMR Rods are a weak link in the 01, and some select 02 and 03 motors. They only become a weak link in a high horse power build, or when someone screws up the tuning.

When left alone, or with mild tuning and mods, a 7.3 that is cared for will reliably for many many years.

Your comments on the required fixes for a 6.0 and 6.4 are not accurate. They have nerely identical flaws due mostly (90%) to emissions systems flaws.

The 6.7 Ford built diesel motor will very likely be an excellent long term performer. It is Ford designed, engineered and built.

Ford simply makes very high quality oem parts across the board. The fit and finish is on par or better then GM of their body work and interiors.

Ford's rolling components, brakes, front ends, ball joints, ect are simply stronger then the IFS of GM and consistently out last similar designs offered by Dodge/Ram.

It's s proven fact the the Ford E4OD, 4R100, 5R110 and 6R140 transmissions hold up far longer then the Allison and the various automatic offerings from Dodge / Ram. I would say the same goes for the ZF6 manual from Ford as well.

For Rubberneck and Bennett and any other naysayers, I stand my opinions based upon a LOT of personal experience, not just hearsay.

I have four 7.3 powered Super Duties with a combined 730,000 miles on them.

Two currently are at 200,000. The other two are 160,000 and 170,000.

Each of these four trucks have been used almost exclusively for heavy work applications and have been driven by various employees over the years.

Those four trucks have had very few repairs, beyond typical maintenance items like brakes, ball joints, clutches, and tires.

Zero internal engine problems and only a couple of small engine electric components, primarily glow plug relays.

At one point I had 5 employees driving 7.3 powered Fords.

All of our extended family are driving Ford 7.3 and 6.0 trucks as well.

They simply work well and hold up well.

I have two buddies who live in my state in other larger cities with similar business to mine. Both run Ford almost exclusively. One has about 15 Fords in his fleet the other has closer to 20.