Diesel Pickup Thread

87sheerips

That isn't anything. Doubt they will lower the value as most likely nothing wad damaged yet.

An old neighbor of mine bought a 2011 powerstroke that had "water damage". Besides smelling a lil funky at first nothing was wrong with it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I'd like to hear some more info on your friends who windowed 7.3 blocks.

I can pretty much guarantee you those trucks were running aggressive tunes and most likey poorly done custom tuning intended to support other mods, like bigger injectors.

PMR Rods are a weak link in the 01, and some select 02 and 03 motors. They only become a weak link in a high horse power build, or when someone screws up the tuning.

When left alone, or with mild tuning and mods, a 7.3 that is cared for will reliably for many many years.

Your comments on the required fixes for a 6.0 and 6.4 are not accurate. They have nerely identical flaws due mostly (90%) to emissions systems flaws.

The 6.7 Ford built diesel motor will very likely be an excellent long term performer. It is Ford designed, engineered and built.

Ford simply makes very high quality oem parts across the board. The fit and finish is on par or better then GM of their body work and interiors.

Ford's rolling components, brakes, front ends, ball joints, ect are simply stronger then the IFS of GM and consistently out last similar designs offered by Dodge/Ram.

It's s proven fact the the Ford E4OD, 4R100, 5R110 and 6R140 transmissions hold up far longer then the Allison and the various automatic offerings from Dodge / Ram. I would say the same goes for the ZF6 manual from Ford as w

To my knowledge both 7.3 trucks had chips not custom ones just off the shelf chips.  A chip and they lost rods give me a break.  Besides head studs and firerings, you dont have to even think about internals in a cummins until you get close to 4 digit horsepower numbers.  Hell you dont have to even think about those until horsepower levels are past where those powdered rods already left the ford.  My comments are innacurate about the 6.0?  Id ask you to explain but you will write a 4 page essay i wont read anyway.  My dads neighbor and a very good friend just got rid of 6.0 liter trucks due to headgasket faIlures and bad injectors.  I find it odd that my comments are not accurate but both trucks had the exact same issues and both were bone fucking stock.  Both trucks were original owners right around 100k miles not some piece of shit they bought used and abused. They were quoted for headgaskets studs EGR coolers and replacement of the bad injectors. I believe one truck needed 2 the other 3.  Two totally different shops in differnet cities. Either there is some giant conspiracy selling these guys the same story or both trucks broke the same shit. So if my comments are inaccurate tell them all about it. Your point about the problems with the 6.4 and 6.0 not being the engines fault but the fault of the emmisions parts is fucking lame.  At the end of the day ford put those systems on there and they cause problems.  If im driving down the road and the bitch leaves me stranded i dont give a fuck if its the emmissions, the motor or the fucking headlights. Broke is broke and ford built it not the customer who has to pay to fix it all later on. And im not some brand blind loyalist, i know quite well they all have their shortcomings.  That is the very reason that i have had manual transmissions in every cummins truck ive ever owned.  My next truck will be an automatic as the Aisin finally seems to be worth owning and quite frankly im tired of rowing gears.  At the end of the day you guys can buy whatever you want.  If by some miracle ford ever put a straight 6 with a big C on the valve cover id be the first person in line to buy one.

• Like 2

To my knowledge both 7.3 trucks had chips not custom ones just off the shelf chips. A chip and they lost rods give me a break. Besides head studs and firerings, you dont have to even think about internals in a cummins until you get close to 4 digit horsepower numbers. Hell you dont have to even think about those until horsepower levels are past where those powdered rods already left the ford. My comments are innacurate about the 6.0? Id ask you to explain but you will write a 4 page essay i wont read anyway. My dads neighbor and a very good friend just got rid of 6.0 liter trucks due to headgasket faIlures and bad injectors. I find it odd that my comments are not accurate but both trucks had the exact same issues and both were bone fucking stock. Both trucks were original owners right around 100k miles not some piece of shit they bought used and abused. They were quoted for headgaskets studs EGR coolers and replacement of the bad injectors. I believe one truck needed 2 the other 3. Two totally different shops in differnet cities. Either there is some giant conspiracy selling these guys the same story or both trucks broke the same shit. So if my comments are inaccurate tell them all about it. Your point about the problems with the 6.4 and 6.0 not being the engines fault but the fault of the emmisions parts is fucking lame. At the end of the day ford put those systems on there and they cause problems. If im driving down the road and the bitch leaves me stranded i dont give a fuck if its the emmissions, the motor or the fucking headlights. Broke is broke and ford built it not the customer who has to pay to fix it all later on. And im not some brand blind loyalist, i know quite well they all have their shortcomings. That is the very reason that i have had manual transmissions in every cummins truck ive ever owned. My next truck will be an automatic as the Aisin finally seems to be worth owning and quite frankly im tired of rowing gears. At the end of the day you guys can buy whatever you want. If by some miracle ford ever put a straight 6 with a big C on the valve cover id be the first person in line to buy one.

I approve this message.

I'm with rubber on this kinda. In the end it makes no difference. All mfgs are putting out unproven shit. Some good, some bad. Let's all be realistic here and understand that all are trying to suffice the unrealistic goals of the government that is trying to make the US account for the rest of the world's short falls and brains in the carbon footprint era. All of these trucks both new and old have a market because of the grooming these mfgs are giving us. There are people like me who cannot understand or justify spending 70k on a vehicle, and then there are the Dave5.0s of the world who say fuck it and make the plunge. I'm not there YET! I bought my pickup brand new in 2004 and paid 35k out the door. I cannot wrap my head around what is so much better today that the same truck is approaching twice that. This same dollar equation is the same through all mfgs. I've driven many miles behind the wheel of all the newer brands. All have their ups, all have their downs. In the grand scheme, they are all equally junk. Pick your poison, pay the bill, and bitch like a mother fucker while doing it.

• Like 2

If it were not for emissions bullshit we would all be a lot better off no doubt.  It is a reality we are not going to escape.  The government wants us all driving prius'  Ive had 94 98 01 06 cummins manual transmission trucks.  My brother has a 14 and i will be ordering a new truck in the next several months.  As the trucks have gotten newer, they have had more emissions shit to make them "cleaner"  What i want the government to explain to me is why my "dirty94" got almost double the mileage of the 14 but the 14 is somehow cleaner.  Granted its got a nice clean exhaust pipe but burns almost twice the fuel.  Hmmm it doesnt add up to me.

• Like 1

If it were not for emissions bullshit we would all be a lot better off no doubt. It is a reality we are not going to escape. The government wants us all driving prius' Ive had 94 98 01 06 cummins manual transmission trucks. My brother has a 14 and i will be ordering a new truck in the next several months. As the trucks have gotten newer, they have had more emissions shit to make them "cleaner" What i want the government to explain to me is why my "dirty94" got almost double the mileage of the 14 but the 14 is somehow cleaner. Granted its got a nice clean exhaust pipe but burns almost twice the fuel. Hmmm it doesnt add up to me.

EXACTLY. You will never convince me how the newer rigs get awful mpg yet are "clean"!!??
  • Like 1

EXACTLY. You will never convince me how the newer rigs get awful mpg yet are "clean"!!??

Well your wallet is clean after filling them up all the time.  Then again maybe that is the whole point.  I wouldnt expect our government to mandate anything that actually helps

• Like 1

Green just said pretty much what I have been saying this entire thread.

They're all junk, so buy new if you can, and have a warranty. Fuck, most have 3% or less interest rates with decent credit.

That said, I don't feel like my work truck gets terrible mileage, but maybe it does.

What I AM sure about is that it rides ten fucking times nicer than my 2005. Everything about it is nicer. The ride, the steering, the comfort, the controls, everything.

Plus, it has way more power. So, again, new truck FTW.