Diesel Pickup Thread

87sheerips

All stock, never been fucked with

Do you have access to the repairs and warranty history on it?

Here's my 0.02 and experience:

In hindsight, I should have deleted and retuned my 6.4 from the day I drove it new off the dealer lot. The emissions systems on these motors is even more detrimental then on the 6.0. Especially in shorter distance and higher idling type of work like I do.

It seems as though the 6.4 trucks that are driven for longer distance and have fewer idling hours on them have fewer issues.

Do you have access to the repairs and warranty history on it?

Here's my 0.02 and experience:

In hindsight, I should have deleted and retuned my 6.4 from the day I drove it new off the dealer lot. The emissions systems on these motors is even more detrimental then on the 6.0. Especially in shorter distance and higher idling type of work like I do.

It seems as though the 6.4 trucks that are driven for longer distance and have fewer idling hours on them have fewer issues.

Sales guy truck. Was driven lots of miles daily to rural farmers and jobsites to try and pedal his junk. All maintenance done at a local shop (not Ford) and hasn't really had anything "major" done. Its coming up on 8 years old so the company will no longer provide him a vehicle allowance so he has ordered a new one and this one obviously needs to go away. Crew cab, long bed, lariat, etc. Pretty damn nice rig, but I know all too well that there were some "issues" with these. I can only assume that once they are deleted that they are about as strong as any of them, but Im concerned about what that means on the 6.4. Is it a 6L thing where the cab needs to come of, studs, oring, the whole facking show, or were these OK with the removal of some shit and a chip?

Ok, so first of all, when someone says "they're fucking junk" ask them their experience with the one THEY owned and THEY drove daily and THEY paid the repair bills on. People with 2nd hand opinions and knowledge piss me the fuck off.

9,000 is cheap, buy the fucker.

My number 1 complaint is the horrific fuel mileage that seems to go along with the 450's and 550's. I didn't see that you posted what model you're looking at but if it's a single rear wheel you could easily get 16mpg or more out of it.

I think I've had pretty good luck with mine overall, much better than some. i.e. Laeger. I love the way it looks, I love the way it drives, I love the interior. It pulls awesome. Hell it runs awesome, but it just gulps the fucking fuel. I've fought a stupid sensor issue lately but finally figured out it was the harness going to a totally unrelated sensor.

I have a hard time believing the one you're looking at hasn't had some sort EGR work done like coolers replaced or valve replaced. I deleted all that crap off mine but even when you remove it the factory manifold pipes are still there and mine didn't last 2 weeks after removing the EGR system. So I had BD manifolds and up pipes installed which does require pulling the cab. However, anyone who's done it before and has a lift can have the cab off, the job done, and the cab back on a lot quicker than it used to be with the old trucks. The shop I use can have them off in 40 minutes.

The chassis' are great, there's not even an argument there. Hands down the toughest pickups IMO. But the 6.4 was doomed from birth. They're a damn good engine -- once you remove ALL the emissions stuff, once they're tuned, and sometimes once you replace the pistons that were cast with the mold line in line with the wrist pin and they break in half. Other than that they're great!!

It really comes down to what you're gonna do with it. The delete is easy. If you plan on doing anything besides changing the oil or belts, the cab has to come off.

Mine's for sale due to the fact that I ruin the value of vehicles and the poor fuel economy just irritates the fuck out of me. Even pulling for work everyday I think it should be getting at least 11 or 12. Mine has 154k on it now and if I keep it another year it'll have over 200k so I think from a financial standpoint it's a good time to sell. I have been looking at Dodge 45 and 5500's because they're also very nice and when it comes to the heavier trucks the chassis are all basically the same and the Dodge's are WAY cheaper.

Not sure what your plans are for it but it'll be a way better truck than that manual 6.0.

Or as my friend Tyrel Thadeus Beaumont Clark says, "buy new, bitches love new shit"

Sales guy truck. Was driven lots of miles daily to rural farmers and jobsites to try and pedal his junk. All maintenance done at a local shop (not Ford) and hasn't really had anything "major" done. Its coming up on 8 years old so the company will no longer provide him a vehicle allowance so he has ordered a new one and this one obviously needs to go away. Crew cab, long bed, lariat, etc. Pretty damn nice rig, but I know all too well that there were some "issues" with these. I can only assume that once they are deleted that they are about as strong as any of them, but Im concerned about what that means on the 6.4. Is it a 6L thing where the cab needs to come of, studs, oring, the whole facking show, or were these OK with the removal of some shit and a chip?

My personal work truck, my '08 F550 with 6.4 has had pretty serious issues. 

My first motor hydro locked and grenaded at 40,000 miles.  The warranty short block that was installed, not a complete new long block, went less then 1,000 miles before it failed with a scored cylinder and piston.  A tech had dropped floor dry in the motor.  At 54,000 miles the motor still ran, but didn't run 100% and was getting even worse fuel mileage then normal.  I took the truck to a different dealer who went through the motor top to bottom and replaced anything that was questionable that they could get passed through warranty.  Up to that point the motor was 100% stock, never tuned or deleted, ect.  The truck ran better and all seemed fine.  About 3,000 miles later I added a tuner and deleted the factory exhaust for a 5".  The truck was suddenly a night and day different and better truck.  My empty fuel mileage went up about 30% and my heavy towing mileage went up literally 100%.  The available power increase was amazing.  Significant power gains from the tuner.  At about 65,000 miles the motor developed another tick.  Upon tear down I found two cylinders and pistons with scoring.  So currently that truck is sitting in my shop with no engine it.  The next motor that goes in it will be at my expense. 

All of my research attributes the majority of the troubles to fall back to emissions equipment failures.  The bottom line is that the early emissions systems don't allow the motors to be used for short distance driving and any prolonged idling.  They start a snow ball effect inside the motor that goes down hill rapidly.

A local concrete guy here has an '09 of '10 F350 singe cab, srw, 6 speed manual with 6.4.  He has just over 200,000 miles on his with no issues until this fall when he found the need to replace the injectors.  He ran it with the emissions in place for the first 150,000 +/- miles. 

I think the primary difference is he drives long distance twice each day from home in the woods to town where we work, about 35-40 miles each way.  He also doesn't idle his as much as I did mine.  The longer driving distance allows the motors to fully cycle the dpf regen mode and helps to keep things cleaned out better and reduce or eliminate the issues that I have had.

I have found this same scenario to be true with multiple other owners and comparisons of how they use their trucks.

This isn't exclusive to the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstrokes either.  I know of a number of guys locally who have emissions related issues with their 6.7 Cummins.

• Like 1

So I went and looked at it. It's in pretty damn good shape. It's a King Ranch not just a Lariat. It didn't sound right so I ran it down to my buddy and plugged it in. Injectors 1 & 8 show problems but other than that seems to check out. He does not want to move on his price which I understand, it's damn nice minus the obvious. My thought is that I could buy it and put 5k into getting it "done up" and come out of the deal with a damn nice ride for less than 15k. Gonna spend some time tomorrow looking for some comparable ones mileage wise to see what they are worth as a running rig. If there's some money to be made I'll buy it to flip.

This all starts because I haven't driven my pickup hardly since summer until this last weekend. I'm the last of my buddies that does drive a near new rig and after driving mine 500 miles on shit roads and jumping in and out of it I get into one of theirs to go to dinner and it reminds me what a pile of shit mine is! I look at the new ones and cannot for the life of me let go of 70k. I think I've got myself talked into selling mine for the 14k I'll get for it, add another 15k to it and find a low mileage 08 F450 and give it the 5k make it run for another 100k treatment.

Not a fan of the color, but I'm not one to give too many fucks about that shit, but this one peaks my interest.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5346910420.html

FUCK I HATE SPENDING MONEY ON VEHICLES!