Diesel Pickup Thread

87sheerips

Until they get ALL of the bugs out of newer emissions compliant diesels I will be sticking with my older trucks.

All but one are paid for and the one that isn't almost is, my 08 with 6.4. It has given me more then enough issues to have learned lesson on the current new stuff.

Forget monthly payments for the sake of driving "new" and being "under warranty" I'm gonna stick with what's proven to be reliable and can still be wrenched on myself if needed.

Nobody is every going to "get all the bugs worked out" Not going to happen. You either want a new truck or you dont.

This^^^ by the time they get shit all sorted out they quit making the motor and go back to the drawing board to over complicate the next motor.

To a certain degree you're absolutely right. All mechanical stuff will have issues and eventually fail.

The point that I'm making though, is that diesel emissions equipment have nearly ruined the purpose of owning a diesel. Extended engine life, better fuel mileage, ect.

Like any new product, system, design, ect, there will be a trial and error period that needs to pass before they have worked the bugs out of most designs.

There are thousands and thousands of early emissions compliant diesel motors out there, in every industry and sector that are ticking time bombs. If they get fixed under warranty, great, but if they fail out of warranty and prematurely, the consumer takes it in the shorts.

The emissions designs are getting better, but until there is more long term solid proof and a design that will work, I'm staying away from new for awhile longer.

Back the the FICM thing.

I should have the FICM done regardless if it needs it or not correct?

Not necessarily. If it tests put good then it is probably fine to run for awhile longer.

If it tests out questionable, then I would not hesitate to replace it.

Back the the FICM thing.

I should have the FICM done regardless if it needs it or not correct?

If you don't need the truck asap just send it to Ed. Have him update the components and load a tune on it. Money well spent in my eyes. The whole drivability is drastically altered. Not a ton of power exactly but the response is night and day. My understanding is it only alters the fueling so it doesn't really raise cylinder pressures drastically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

JFC this is 1st grade math. Spend 6 or 7k on the truck you already own if that's what it takes and use it to pull whatever giant boat you buy.

Simple as that.

If it's only got 160k on it in another 10 years it'll still be worth $12k. Zero sense in buying a new truck to drive 6,000 miles a year and lose 25k of equity in the next 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1