Diesel Pickup Thread

87sheerips

You aren't lying there! Fuck 70k! I paid 36k for mine when I bought it and I'll be damned if I'm spending 5k to build my tranny (2nd time) and spend 3k to fix the rotting body on a 2008! Nope! Still worth the same as I got rid of it for. Plus what if the motor blew the next day and I still had a 510 dollar payment? if it's paid for you better just keep it and fix it.

I've got 2 things going for me. I own it, and it's a manual transmission.

It is 12 years old and just rolled 100k. If I can shove 4 or 5 grand into it and it will go basically trouble free for another 10 years than I'll do it. I drive the truck even less now than before and I dont have an 18k lbs toy hauler anymore, so I can only assume that it's will only see 60k in the next 10 years and will see a FAR easier life!

Some people focus on monthly payment versus the actual amount of debt incurred.

At some point in a guys life he has to address the overall debt picture.

I got 1k more than I owed on it when I got rid of it a month ago I cut my losses and moved on. At some point I might buy an older Cummins and fix it up and not have a payment on it.

I've got 2 things going for me. I own it, and it's a manual transmission.

It is 12 years old and just rolled 100k. If I can shove 4 or 5 grand into it and it will go basically trouble free for another 10 years than I'll do it. I drive the truck even less now than before and I dont have an 18k lbs toy hauler anymore, so I can only assume that it's will only see 60k in the next 10 years and will see a FAR easier life!

I don't argue with that statement one bit. Fix it and run it. So you spend 4 or 5 k to fix it, guess how much I spend a year just making payments on it? More than that....so you're still ahead of the ball game.

I don't run any of that shit. Maybe it's an injector thing, maybe not. It gave the identical symptoms the last time it had FICM problems, but it was under warranty and obviously was replaced with an OEM unit. I've been thinking about sending it to the place here in town that specializes in these things and have them stud/delete/tune it. If I remember correctly they rebuild and or flow the injectors when they do it. I know they go through the turbo but I'll have to call about the injectors. I'll tear the fugger apart this week and put a meter on the FICM. I HATE WORKING ON VEHICLES!

What shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South Commercial Auto has a diesel shop now. Last I asked they have done over 200 of them and they warranty their work. They have done more than 20 of them for my buddy who owns a car lot. He buys them out of the auction CHEAP (he only buys ones that have known head gasket issues) and then they go through them. Thus far, not one of his has been back for warranty.

South Commercial Auto has a diesel shop now. Last I asked they have done over 200 of them and they warranty their work. They have done more than 20 of them for my buddy who owns a car lot. He buys them out of the auction CHEAP (he only buys ones that have known head gasket issues) and then they go through them. Thus far, not one of his has been back for warranty.

Cool I'll look them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Negative!

40 year old pussy might be used.

BUT

You can beat on it as hard as you can and it will never say "ouch" or "stop"

It already knows what it wants so there is no learning curve.

It has already been paid for once, maybe twice, so the cost per use is far less.

It is older technology so typically it is simpler.

They are more plentiful so parts upgrades are cheaper.

Often times they come with change in the glove box.

AND THE BEST...

Sometimes they are owned by someone else and you get to drive them for free!

• Like 3

Quite honestly when I figure out WTF we are doing for our next boat will dictate what I do for a new(er) vehicle. If we buy a 36-38 footer than I will buy a used Cummins powered F650 that is basically dedicated for the boat and keep this for sledding. If we buy something that is small again then I'll lower mine down a bit and rock it both seasons. I cannot get warmed up to the prices of say a new F450..... I don't see what you're getting for the $.

I can spend $ with the best of them. I'm VERY good at it, but I've never been one to need a nice new vehicle every 3 years. Fack my daily is a 97 Honda Accord that's BEAT. I am upgrading this next week though, but still nothing "nice".

I can't do it.

I am currently fighting the fight too.  My 2001 has been a fantastic truck.  Its  a 6 speed, it runs better than good and has never left me on the side of the road.  Every time I drive a newer truck i get the itch but just cant pull the trigger.  My oldest will be driving in a few months and has informed me the truck is hers.  Im actually not opposed to that idea as i want her in something big and i want her to have experience with a manual trans. So im trying to convince myself that i want a new truck.  but FML 60-70 grand for shitty mileage?