Diesel Pickup Thread

87sheerips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd do it every change but that's just me. I change my oil every 5k but I also have an engine that's known for catastrophic failures due to poor lubrication. lol

Like rubberneck said, if they look good and you don't have problems, go with what you feel, just keep an extra behind the seat for when that shitty tank strikes.

Hell yea thanks for the info! So u recommend running that shit year round eh!

I should clarify, you don't have to run the stuff with cold weather protection year round, they make a few different options and at least 1 or 2 of them are just for warm climate, meaning it has all the properties for cleaning and lubrication, just not cold weather protection.

Just so everyone knows, here's what I use year round. I buy it in a 1 gallon jug. That jug will treat 1,000 gallons of fuel. Normally it's $90 a gallon but sometimes I catch it on sale. $90 a gallon sounds expensive but do the math. If your truck holds 30 gallons of fuel and you treat it every tank. It costs you roughly $2.70 per tank to treat it. That makes it cheaper than a lot of other additives, plus you're going to save more than that in economy and buying fewer failed parts anyhow. Some guys notice a difference in economy, honestly I can't say I have. But my fuel filters are always clean, it starts up every single time in sub zero temps whether it's been plugged ion or not, and it runs damn good. I'm not the best specimen to try and figure MPG's for though either. Lol. Always loaded, drags that trailer through fields, always in a hurry, blah blah blah

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel-fuel-system/bg-dfc-plus-hp/

So naturally I haven't driven my pickup in damn near a month. It was the coldest it's been here in a year last night. Decided this morning to run into town and fill it with diesel being that it is under 2 bucks right now. Turn key on, light goes out, turn the key. After 10 seconds it hadn't started (this is not normal) So I repeat. This time it starts, kind of. Runs on 3 or maybe 4, sounds like someone is beating on the block with a hammer. So I shut it off and cycle the glow plugs 8-10 times, turn key and it starts, on what I think was 7 this time, I say fuck it and walk away. After about 5 mins it kinda settles down and after about 15 mins I drive it to town..

Short Story-- The fucking FICM is out (again).

What are all you 6L boys using for FICM's these days? I'm long since out of the performance diesel game. I don't need some super duper fucking world's greatest, sucks your duck when you turn the key unit. I need the "average guy" upgraded unit that works. Nothing more, nothing less.

So naturally I haven't driven my pickup in damn near a month. It was the coldest it's been here in a year last night. Decided this morning to run into town and fill it with diesel being that it is under 2 bucks right now. Turn key on, light goes out, turn the key. After 10 seconds it hadn't started (this is not normal) So I repeat. This time it starts, kind of. Runs on 3 or maybe 4, sounds like someone is beating on the block with a hammer. So I shut it off and cycle the glow plugs 8-10 times, turn key and it starts, on what I think was 7 this time, I say fuck it and walk away. After about 5 mins it kinda settles down and after about 15 mins I drive it to town..

Short Story-- The fucking FICM is out (again).

What are all you 6L boys using for FICM's these days? I'm long since out of the performance diesel game. I don't need some super duper fucking world's greatest, sucks your duck when you turn the key unit. I need the "average guy" upgraded unit that works. Nothing more, nothing less.

I will get you info on the guy who rebuilt ours and added a tune to it a little later on.

It's also possible that your injectors are experiencing sticking from previous ficm issues.

Also, what condition are your batteries in? Weak batteries will kill your ficm.

Batteries were new at the beginning of summer. I think they fucked with the injectors since the last FICM issue but I don't remember for sure.

How many miles on the motor?

Original injectors?

A weak and failing ficm will cause the injectors to not actuate fully and will cause them to essentially slowly self destruct

Just turned 100k. I'd have to find the crap from Ford the last time they had it apart (60k ago) to refresh my memory of what they did. I though they did something with the injectors but I don't remember for sure. I've had ZERO problems with it since the last time they put gaskets in it, but I also have not ran any sort of tuner since then.

Just turned 100k. I'd have to find the crap from Ford the last time they had it apart (60k ago) to refresh my memory of what they did. I though they did something with the injectors but I don't remember for sure. I've had ZERO problems with it since the last time they put gaskets in it, but I also have not ran any sort of tuner since then.

If your injectors are original you could very likely be having sticking issues.

Have you been running RevX or Archoil in the engine oil? What about in your fuel?

Sounds like you need to have someone with a computer scanner measure your ficm voltage to see what it is doing.

With proper tuning you won't have head gasket issues even with oem head bolts. Studs obviously are the best choice.