timing question

How would I check them? When I tore the motor apart last time stator was in ruff shape. I cleaned it up best I could. Looked like water seeped into the case on that side

Can you answer my question about the advanced timing? If my bike is running fine. With stick pipes .40 bore and single foam filter with box and lid with holes in it. No snorkel will the advanced timing make it worth the cost?

Trying to help you fix the problem you mentioned in the beginning, and possibly save you some money.

Check the plug boots. Use ohm meter. Report findings.

Also, you mention you are looking at plates and stators. Be very leary of the stator and cast plate combos.

STAY AWAY FROM:

RM

Rick's

Rickey Stator

Electro Sport

Racetech (suit your self folks, mine didn't work and I had to fix the replacement as well)

^ already mentioned what to stay away from.

If you buy junk, you'll be back with "Why is my junk breaking up at high RPM, but starts and idles fine". Or "Screws broke out of cheap cast plate and took out stator and flywheel" (and maybe crank end). Fuck, probably have better chance of getting "good" parts from Rattle Can Ray.

Shotgun parts replacement is usually the most expensive way around the block.

Either get a Clymers Repair manual, or find the online manual for the values for testing.

Clean rust off, especially timing "nubs" on outside of flywheel. Set pick-up gap.

Trim 1/4" off plug wires and re-install plug caps, after ohming coil and caps seperate.