Shocks For The Shee

Nightrider

Do some of the high rent shocks really make a difference?I mostly trail ride my shee,occasionally I'll tackle a big jump or two.

Is the ride quality really that different,or does it just come down to handling big jumps.I would like to increase the trailability of my shee.Can anyone recommend a setup?

How much money you got? There was a BIG debate on this awhile back. I am currently running works shocks. Triples in front. I like them for now, although on an MX track, I wish I had something better. You need a Resorvoir for long hard rides. the shocks heat up, and lose their effective damping abilities. This is a bad thing. CC racing pounded me. I NEEDED better suspension for that. But I couldn't afford it. IMHO, you should get the best shocks that you can afford. I have heard debates on Elkas, but I think I would still go with them. they seem like they provide the best bang for the buck. But see what others have to say that actually have them. I know Deuce, and Meat use Elka. They seem to like them.

i run dual rate elkas on my front. i like them alot. i have neve bottomed them out. i mostly trail ride and they soak up everything my trails have to offer and its smoe pretty mean shit. i think i paid right around 800 for them. they are dual rate fully adjustable with piggyback reservoirs. id say try some elkas.

• 2 weeks later...

When I looked into it, I could not find anyone that did any work on the stock shocks. Anyway, I went with works triple rates with rezzys. I ride trails and dunes, and am not a jumper. I found that my trail riding got MUCH faster, and I can ride a lot longer with these shocks. I have been told that the diff between Works and the other makes is much the same as the diff between stock and Works. However, what I have now is so much better than what I had, that I don't even care. My advice to you, with the type of riding you do, go with the Works.

Dual rate with rezzies will probably work for me I guess.I'd love the elkas but 800 smackers..Whoa!I've got other machines that need things too so I have to share the wealth.

Increasing ride time is a big plus.I think everyone here knows how abusive the Shee's suspension is.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Dual rate with rezzies will probably work for me I guess.I'd love the elkas but 800 smackers..Whoa!I've got other machines that need things too so I have to share the wealth.

Increasing ride time is a big plus.I think everyone here knows how abusive the Shee's suspension is.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

id skip the rezzie and go with a better valved body for your budget, some dampning adjustments will help you out lots more than trying to cool a poor shock and the only problem with triples is finding one in a short body, if you had gullwing aarms you be open to all kinds of good triples, its just hard to stuff that much spring in that short a body and have it work worth a shit allthough in theory a triple is softer on top and firmer on the bottom than a double but since getting a triple in the shorter body doesnt work well most guys use doubles i wouldnt buy a shock based on its bottom, id look at the ride at the top of the shock, since thats where you'll be most of the time all shocks bottom if they didnt the top of the ride would be utter shit and it would just shutter down the track, the less expensive elkas are a great shock as TXblueshee stated, if you took those from him and replaced them with the best works shock he wouldnt be impressed, spring gage is everything in my opinion and a good body allows you to control the rate of travel of the spring and then keeping them cool depends on the activity the body is taking, it's almost 2k for a full set of elka ssd's but man if your thing is to haul ass consistantly (with other guys hopfully chasing you instead of you them) your suspension choice at that point is more important than your pipe choice........

You don't have to spend 800 bucks...The reason why they are so expensive is because they are fully adjustable. You can get Elkas for $400 for the pair for the front...You just won't have compression or rebound adjustment which the average rider doesn't use anyways....I got triple rate works and love them....I could use more, but the works made a big difference from stock. My friend has Elkas fully adjustable front and rear. I didn't notice any difference from my shee when he bought the front shocks, comparing them to my works. Maybe I would've on bigger jumps, but not on the smaller bumps....I did notice a big difference on the rear shock when he bought his rear elka, compared to my stocker......As far as duals and triples. I agree w/ Duece. I've had both and find the triples almost too soft and spongy....I bottom out easier and don't find any more of a ride on top....They are both great, but I don't see any advantage to the 3rd spring...Like everyone else sais, buy what you can afford, and remember the adjustability is just as expensive as the shock. If your not going to play w/ adjustments, then don't waste the money....

IMO... I would buy some used elkas, ohlins, axis, etc.. off of flea bay. I picked up my elkas for 312.00 cod to the door, so if they were leaking or busted I could tape them back up and send them back. I guess I was wrong about getting the triple rates... on any other quad they would be great but according to duece and meat(they have forgotten more info than I know) the 'shees a-arm width is to small for the extra spring to work correctly. I was looking at works... it was gonna take damd near 500 bones to buy the shocks I wanted, so I picked up the used elkas and couldn't be happier for the price I paid for them.

Mike