Thoughts on getting an Advanced Timing Plate

ETR174

That's actually not that bad. Clean it with brake cleaner and coat it with the Yellow top WD-40. Let it sit for a second to penetrate. Then wipe it dry.

Ok, I'll point out a few quick thoughts on stuff to remember on your first flywheel tear down. Nut is Regular thread, but the Puller is Reverse thread. So it goes in counter clock wise. The threads gall easily! Check the end of your ebay puller. Check the flywheel. Use a pick tool or even a micro file to clean them up if you don't have a tap and dye kit. Be careful if you put air tools on the puller. You have to at least snug up the center piece. I've been using a 20v 1/4 impact to tear everything down and it's pretty good. Any thing more then that can do, and you're bound for broken hard ware and a torch either way.

few drops of water? what were you expecting to come out?

Well I thought there wasn't supposed to be anything until I found out my dopy cousin out the gasket on the wrong way.

That's actually not that bad. Clean it with brake cleaner and coat it with the Yellow top WD-40. Let it sit for a second to penetrate. Then wipe it dry.

Ok, I'll point out a few quick thoughts on stuff to remember on your first flywheel tear down. Nut is Regular thread, but the Puller is Reverse thread. So it goes in counter clock wise. The threads gall easily! Check the end of your ebay puller. Check the flywheel. Use a pick tool or even a micro file to clean them up if you don't have a tap and dye kit. Be careful if you put air tools on the puller. You have to at least snug up the center piece. I've been using a 20v 1/4 impact to tear everything down and it's pretty good. Any thing more then that can do, and you're bound for broken hard ware and a torch either way.

Alright thanks, I will go wipe it with the brake cleaner and WD-40 tomorrow. And yeah I heard about the threads being reverse going into the flywheel. I got a 19.2V Craftsman 1/2" drive impact I will be using. I will make sure it's tight and I won't go crazy on the trigger.

Be sure to back the center bolt out as far as possible before threading into F-wheel.

I have to laugh at you tho, afraid to fuck up with a Dremal slotting the plate, but think you're golden on adjusting the timing frequently.

Hint: probably only 1% of those with adjustable plate actually adjust it more than once, lol.

I am thinking about just drilling it now. Could I just measure out 4mm on each mounting point, mark it, and punch a hole in it with a drill instead of dremelling it out and creating a slot? Then it would have 2 holes. One stock position, one 4 degrees advanced.

The holes will touch more than likely, not only that but you should make those areas flush as well. It would be easier for you to drill, and the screws will sit flat then too. Don't be scared of screwing the plate up...if you do I will send you another one lol.

Lol ok. If I fuck up I will just buy an adjustable lol. I still got to wait for my flywheel puller Friday so it won't be until then that I can do it.

There's a write up on how to do your stocker. I guess 4mm is close. Probably not exact but they are about a MM apart on the billits.

Sparky has a video on YouTube too. I decided to just mod it and I an getting new carbs now Thursday.