Help With Suspension.......

89 bansheedude

How much experience do you have with jumping? If you nose dive off all jumps you aren't jumping correctly and there is no way adjusting any shock will fix that problem. You need to stay hard on the gas when you go off jumps. Don't hit the brakes while in the air either. You need to be in the proper gear for the jump as well... you can't be chuggin along in 4th on a second gear jump. How big are these jumps that you are going off? How far are you jumping? How long have you been riding?

I sounds like your not pulling up on the bars as you leave the face. Next time you jump pull up on the bars. When your in the air push the guy out in front of you, that way when you land the rear tires will hit first. Check your rebound sounds like its to fast and adjust your compression almost all the way hard.

it comes up like right when i hit the jump or going off of it, its like the back is springing down and it is rebounding to hard making the backend lift up and chase the front, i know my whieght is right on it bacause i sit on the back of the seat im 6'4 so it should be landing on the back if anythign has to do about the whight position. i have been riding for a while and jumping to although you can never say your good at jumping because theres this one jump that will throw you for one out there somewhere. i was just wanting to know how i could stop the backend from shooting up and almost causeing me to nosedive.. thanks jayare

loosen your preload, and set your rebound 1/2 way out about 10 clicks, compression about 2 -4 clicks in, your rear spring is making you pogo off any thing with lift, it probally really blows on fast jagged straights, your bike needs to squat for proper lift off jumps, then the rebound will slow its travel back to the top making the transition from end of ramp to sky smooth, you want as little compression as possible so you can soak up fast ruts, let the rebound handle the fast hard hit's, put your front springs all the way soft, you might soak up some small stuff that way, the stock springs are going to bottom regardless, and with no valving you cant slow down the top of the travel so your stuck there, bottoming isnt all bad you should on the biggest obsticle on the track, its how it comes back from the bottom of it's travel thats pogoing you........ and i agree aceleration is everything, if you lob your bike off jumps prepare to land hard no matter what your suspensions like, on the gas sometimes 50 footers can feel like jumping the curb, timed right and in the proper gear as SDD mentioned...my 2 cents....

One thing you might want to look into is the rear shock itself. If your bike is older or has a lot of riding time on it the settings could be blown out. You have 89 listed in your user name and if that is the year of your bike I'd be willing to bet your shock is in need of a rebuild. You can check the rebound setting to see if you need a rebuild. Push down as hard as you can on the back of your bike and see how fast the rear end pops back up. Now adjust the grey ring on the bottom of your shock to adjust the rebound. If it only takes a click or two to slow down the rebound your shock is ok. If you have it adjusted to the slowest setting and it didn't slow down the rebound it's way past rebuild time. Try to adjust it or rebuild it.