Update on the knocking

Ok, I keep reading you say you don't have the cash to do this right.......yet you have another post asking about A-arms and you keep leaning towards the cheap crappy arms despite everyone's advice.

Maybe you should either do motor or suspension well....then do the other later, because you're fixin to do both 1/2 assed.

Just saying.......either way, in both posts your mind sounded made up from the start.

Maybe you were hoping everyone would agree with your plan and validate your choices.

The consensus is to disagree with your planned course of action.

• Like 1

The A arms I just didn't know where to look, SKEETER recommended JD performance so that's where I'm looking now. I am listening to everyone's advice and I will be splitting the cases to look at the crank and probably send it to Jeff to have it trued and welded. The money situatution is hard to explain without telling everyone my life story.

What do you recommend I do Windy? for both the suspension and motor? I can't do one or the other it has to be both. I know good quality and low cost don't go hand in hand so I'm trying to find a happy median.

damn man, all your questions have been answered honestly. yet you come back with ignorant replies and call these guys assholes. im confused with why you keep asking shit if your dad is experienced? to say 2-3 rides would be better than missing out is pretty far fetched if you cant afford to do it right at the moment. I doubt if your cases have never been split in  27 yrs! your better off buying a new  crank, and having it trued and welded. or just sell it to person who will treat it right, and get a bicycle their cheap to work on. id worry about doing the engine right, and suspension later seeming how when it fails and it will, your dad will get tired of pushing you around the yard, so you can feel how good it handles! I doubt these guys will reply the more you doubt what they tell you to do.

I didn't mean to come off as ignorant and I only referred to one person as an asshole, I actually like most of you guys especially the ones that offer useful input. I'm going to split the cases and send the crank to be trued and welded if it isn't crap. As for suspension I was just shopping around. I have a new frame which I'm gonna slowly prepare for a completely swap.

But I got the point, Crank needs to be looked at. I'm gonna order a clymer manual right now and split the cases tomorrow most likely.

Apologies for being a stubborn dick.

Good choice. Now, here's a list of tools you're gonna need.

Flywheel puller. (Fits most motorcycles)

32mm or 1 1/4" socket and an impact wrench to turn it, for the clutch hub nut.

Phillips impact driver. (The kind you smack with a hammer)

When you put the motor back together, you'll need a

Torque wrench

leakdown tester

Here's the bottom end assembly walkthrough. It'll help you to figure out how everything fits together.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140912

Thank you, I already have most of those tools and can get my hands on the rest of them and I plan on building my own leakdown tester using the guide here on BHQ.

I should definitely replace the outer 2 crank bearings right? any other mods I can do myself while I have the cases split?

If you want my input.....

Spend the cash on your motor before it fails so hard the bill triples. I would get a HotRods 4mill crank and call Lane over at Vito's, tell him what crank you're going to use and have him set you up with some Vito's Super Stock pistons (7-8hp gain)

The 4mill crank will give you some more torque. Talk to Lane about your jetting and now is a good time to get experience learning to read plugs and jet.

Flip your front wheels. Do the offset mod. (Plug old valvestem hole and drill new one on other side of rim. It acts like wider A-arms.

Otherwise buy some arms WITH BALL JOINTS NOT HIEMS. Take others advice on the arms and don't buy junk. If you need shocks....the best bang for your buck are WORKS dual rate AT STEELIES.

• Like 1

Unless the crank is something special, they aren't worth rebuilding. If one bearing is bad the rest can't be far behind. Inspect the crank yourself, specs are in the manual.

As one who cheeped out (long story) it WILL bite you in the ass. ONLY Cost a bore and pistons, lucked out,

Peace of mind of a brand new crank is priceless.

see troy wasn't that simple lol. im with larrys shee, on  buying a new one. I just had crankworks rebuild mine, and have a spare motor I just ordered a 4mill vitos crank for and the price difference wasn't great enough to where I shouldn't have bought a new for my most recent rebuild...I also thought my crank was fine, or seemed fine once I rebuilt my topend I noticed a rattle/ knock id never heard before. I believe due to the fact I had such poor compression it kinda masked it. if I would've listened to these guys, well I only would've tore it down once instead of twice! yeah some guys seem like assholes but I like that attitude, and I believe their the ones that now their shit!

The A arms I just didn't know where to look, SKEETER recommended JD performance so that's where I'm looking now. I am listening to everyone's advice and I will be splitting the cases to look at the crank and probably send it to Jeff to have it trued and welded. The money situatution is hard to explain without telling everyone my life story.

What do you recommend I do Windy? for both the suspension and motor? I can't do one or the other it has to be both. I know good quality and low cost don't go hand in hand so I'm trying to find a happy median.

I'm not windy. But I do have a recommendation. I know money is tight but it really is nuts to do a top end and not be positive everything else is ok. The case work is easy. Split it. Replace bearings on the crank and get the thing welded. Seal kit is pretty cheap and other then that you may be able to get by. I doubt your trans needs anything, so this could be fairly affordable. Make sure to do use sealer on the crank keyway as well.

At a minimum..... Do a leak down after the top end is assembled. No sense in spending the cash knowing god damn well that you're doing it again shortly.

Oh, the happy medium for suspension parts. Definitely hawk eye the for sale section here. Lots of great stuff pops up for very decent prices.

Edited by trickedcarbine
  • Like 2