Electrical please help

sugarshack81

I have a 1998 banshee that was running great until I washed it. Now I have no spark. I tested ohms on the the stator and pick up coil and they test to spec. I've checked the continuity on the wire harness and its good. I thought it may be the ignition coil, I plugged a new one in today and it fired up at first kick then lost spark. Would the cdi send signal only part time. I was under the impression that the cdi either works or it doesn't. I'm get spark from time to time. Maybe my ground to the ignition coil? Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I have no spark but every now and then I will get a spark here's a list of what I've check.

I used the following website for help:

Banshee Electrical FAQ - DFN Systems

www.dfn.com/agservices/elecfaq.html

Kill switch test good

Key switch test good

Stator coil: red to green 19.8 ohms

Pick coil: red/white to green/white 112 ohms

Lighting coil: yellow to black 0.5-0.6 ohms

Ignition coil test:I have two coils, one is new aftermarket and other is old oem

Primary test: 0.6 ohms old and 1.0 ohms new

Secondary test: wire with and without caps 5,700 ohms old and 6,000 ohms new

Torrs was eliminated before electrical problem

I also ordered some new spark plug caps and they tested out at 16,000 ohms on both coils NGK caps. When I put the new ngk plugs it fired and ran for couple minutes then lost spark and died. Couldn't get spark again so I thought maybe my ignition coils was bad so I ordered new one put that thing in and got spark for a second then went out. I'm down to the wiring harness the grounds or the CDI box. I read somewhere that the CDI box either works or doesn't work it doesn't just sometimes send a spark and sometimes it doesn't is that true or not? How do I check my ground wire going to ignition coil? Appreciate any help or suggestions at this point. Not sure if I should order cdi or wiring harness?

I'm in south texas near corpus christi. I'm probably going to order a used cdi, I get paid tomorrow. The box I have has 3GG-10 on it, assuming I need to get this exact box. They have couple on ebay for ~$100 that are 3GG-10. Tempted to buy the wiring harness and cdi together. Found them used together for $188 on ebay. Just have a gut feeling that its my wiring and hate to buy stuff I dont need. I'm going to take hoppedup's advise and check the wiring harness better first. I haven'nt unwrapped the wires and inspected them yet.

That harness and cdi is from minkia38? Thanks for the heads up. I need just a little more info on checking the CDI. Should I check the connector leaving the cdi or going in? If I get continuity on one of the prongs in the connector does this mean the cdi is bad? Not real familiar with the cdi. I'm gonna go check it out see what happens.

I don't know which harness and CDI you were looking at. It just sounded like one of his auctions.

Trace the wire colors according to the schematic. Unplug the CDI. Check your stator, coil, kill switch, and key switch from there. If that is all in spec, or just very slightly higher than spec, then check stator to ground and so forth to make sure you don't have a bare shorted wire somewhere. If everything checks out, borrow a CDI or try your CDI on someone else's bike.

Number of times these posts end up being the CDI?..........Never.