A lot of lag in the begging of gears

b.rich108

I opened it up today.  The impeller drive gear was broken.  The new clutch came in today but I probably wont be able to put it in till sometime next week.  I went to check the compression and I got 120psi in the one cylinder.  I did not get a chance to check the other side because the threads in the dome were completely striped out.  The domes are 21cc.  Is that compression in the one cylinder ok for that size domes on a cylinder that's bored .40 over?  I started a new thread with more questions.  Any help will be much appreciated

Lots of issues,

Pull the carbs to give them a clean and rebuild

Report back on what jets are in the carbs and we can get you started on whether or not it's close.

Motor shutting down is more then likely a seizeure. Especially if the water pump went. You probably don't wanna hear it, but that motor needs a total rebuild at this point. But you don't have to go nuts. You should take it down to the cases and start out fresh regardless. No point in putting a new clutch and top end on a motor that's got a toasted low end

Update

Carbs were both dirty and are now good and clean and it is running very good.  Jet sizes were 260 main.  There were 3 other jets that I was not sure what they were.  One said 1.4  another said 1.6 and I believe it was the pilot that said 25.  Not positive on that though.  The carbs were both 28mm inside diameter.  The jet sizes did not make much sense to me, but I am not very familiar with carbs at all. Do these numbers sound correct? 

As far as the clutch goes, The new clutch made a world of difference over the old.  However, the ball bearing got fused to the clutch adjustment screw so I have to pick them up. 

My buddy picked up a compression tester, but it seemed like none of the adapters wanted to screw in.  Also, they weren't nearly as long as the spark plugs.  Are there testers just for quads?

The 25 is the pilot, the 260 main is pretty standard. I wouldn't mess with either of the other two you found. Maybe bump the pilot to 27.5 and main up to a 280. Maybe give the needle a clip richer.

The compression testers are kinda a pain to find a nice one. Not sure there would be any ATV specific one as they can test anything the end allows you to thread it into. Just hold a plug next to whatever adaptor you find to make sure it's close in size.