Best mods to make from standard

hpemk1

I've just bought some toomey t5s for my completley stock banshee , what engine mods should I go for next I don't want to spend fortunes and I want it to be reliable still, I want to do a couple mods as parts are hard to find in England so I will proble have to get them shipped over from The states.

Do a search on all the different tranny stuff guys are doing. It makes a banshee motor a total different beast.

Do it in phases. First do almost any bolt on you can afford. Pipes, carbs, head, intake, timing plate, shifting/tranny mods, suspension, etc. Just remember that a stock motor making decent power won't stay together forever.

Phase 2: once the motor pops, it could be a season or could be a few seasons. Just depends on the current motor. So at this point most guys get all pissed but you can use it as an excuse to really make the motor really bitchin. You will already have the supporting mods so why not. Tear it down, replace every seal, port the cylinders and get custom domes, cut the tranny, weld the crank or have a good welded stroker put in.

The cool head actually only lowers operating temp marginally, but it's best benefit is it's ability to allow easily swapped domes( cumbustion chamber).swapping domes changes compression as well as a few other factors. There are a lot of different builders who can make you a dome for any set up that will perform better then any shelf dome from pro design ever will.

Welding the crank pins keeps the lobes from coming out of phase. Compression makes motors responsive and makes that torque feeling, but it is mean to parts and usually it's the crank that tells you it's unhappy.

Tranny mods are for getting the bike to shift smooth and consistant. It's the difference between shifting an ol dodge compared to a Ferrari. There are little bolt on things like a shift shaft, shift star, detent arm, detent arm spring that can be tweaked to make the bike shift better. But the real benefit is when the cases get split and the trans clusters them selves are machined. There is a clutch less drag racing style or a much improved trail/Duner style of cut and both make for an incredible improvement.

Do a search on all the different tranny stuff guys are doing. It makes a banshee motor a total different beast.

Do it in phases. First do almost any bolt on you can afford. Pipes, carbs, head, intake, timing plate, shifting/tranny mods, suspension, etc. Just remember that a stock motor making decent power won't stay together forever.

Phase 2: once the motor pops, it could be a season or could be a few seasons. Just depends on the current motor. So at this point most guys get all pissed but you can use it as an excuse to really make the motor really bitchin. You will already have the supporting mods so why not. Tear it down, replace every seal, port the cylinders and get custom domes, cut the tranny, weld the crank or have a good welded stroker put in.

Why wait to weld the crank? odds of it failing with mods is high and usually when they pop then your replacing cyls, cases, crank, pistons, domes. Doesnt ever make since to me why guys wait or say wait till it pops then do it. So it ends up costing you 2-3x more then just doing it right the first time!

So isit the woodruff key that has to be welded? Can this be done with the engine in the bike? I'm guessing if it lets go then the timing advances to much and the engine melts? Also what reads shall I go for, do they make much difference and is a boost bottle a good idea , I never get what it does?

Edited by hpemk1

With a clymer manual, it makes splitting the cases pretty easy. If ever you take the cylinders off and/or split the cases, you need to do a leak down test. No exceptions. An air leak can cause lots of head aches and at worst, hurt your motor. I think there's a sticky on here on how to build a leakdown tester yourself.

I would strongly consider getting the cylinders ported at the same time you get the crank welded/trued. Ship once and do it all at once. Or you can do a 4mil crank at the same time but that isnt needed. Porting the cylinders offers way more power/fun over a stroker crank.