Need some advice

Jrod324

Hey guys i got a question for yall my bikes gonna be hitting the shop soon im pretty much stock just reeds and fmf pipes... Now my boy just found out his bike has a 4 mil with a port and is going up in piston size to a 65mm now i know hes gonna be making nice power... My question is if i go up to a size or 2 from my size now (i think its a 63/64mm) with a nice port job done will i be able to keep up (not tryin to be faster just stay close/next to) or is that still not enough.... Advice needed for whatever mods that arent going to kill my pockets thanks

Port job will make the most effect for you. I would not bore for power reasons. Stock crank trued/welded best bang for buck. You will be able to hang just fine provided your setup is dialed in. Drag race is another story.. You may consider shift star mod while it's apart.

Port job will make the most effect for you. I would not bore for power reasons. Stock crank trued/welded best bang for buck. You will be able to hang just fine provided your setup is dialed in. Drag race is another story.. You may consider shift star mod while it's apart.

You mean a 4mil crank setup also or no? And changing the pistons is only for racing?

depending on the port job on his 4mil, you may be able to send your cylinders to a good builder and push out more power. But power delivery is more important depending on how you ride. For example if you drag race only or do trails etc.

Carefull adding power though. It's not always easy to get traction. Proper set up goes a LONG way in winning a race. That and the rider.

A lot of valid points above. 1-Just boring to the biggest size is NOT how to get power out of one of these, the port timing gets screwed up. And the cylinder is good for one use-next time you have to replace them. 2-Pipes ARE the very first mod you should do-more power gains from a set of pipes than any other single mod out there. 3-you really should have a plan from start to finish; A-What type of riding? B-What is your budget? C-How long do you want it to last?

Some mods take your power the wrong direction unless other things are done along with them. Basically to go to "Level 2" so-to-speak. You should refresh the top end, choose a brand of pipe (bigger isn't better) Get a port job to compliment those, and choose a dome in an aftermarket head to compliment everything just done. Timing plates make a difference too. Then you'll be set to play all day long!!

depending on the port job on his 4mil, you may be able to send your cylinders to a good builder and push out more power. But power delivery is more important depending on how you ride. For example if you drag race only or do trails etc.

Carefull adding power though. It's not always easy to get traction. Proper set up goes a LONG way in winning a race. That and the rider.

A lot of valid points above. 1-Just boring to the biggest size is NOT how to get power out of one of these, the port timing gets screwed up. And the cylinder is good for one use-next time you have to replace them. 2-Pipes ARE the very first mod you should do-more power gains from a set of pipes than any other single mod out there. 3-you really should have a plan from start to finish; A-What type of riding? B-What is your budget? C-How long do you want it to last?

Some mods take your power the wrong direction unless other things are done along with them. Basically to go to "Level 2" so-to-speak. You should refresh the top end, choose a brand of pipe (bigger isn't better) Get a port job to compliment those, and choose a dome in an aftermarket head to compliment everything just done. Timing plates make a difference too. Then you'll be set to play all day long!!

Ragun im not trying to race just get some extra speed because i know when my boys bike comes back hes gonna have alot more power then when he sent it in im not trying to abuse the engine either im trying to keep it arud for a good while.... I wasnt gonna do a crazy port just a good one or even trail port to get some extra torque speed

K&n what pipes you recommend (im thinking toomeys?)? And as for the domes what size you think i should get? I dont know anything about domes only that alot of people add them lol... Yea timing plate iv seen makes a diff so i was gonna get that as well any good ones of he top of your head... Like i said im not trying to do crazy mods to catch up because they way we ride i dont wanna beat the motor up for hours unless it could take it... Any ideas of me getting the bigger radiator to keep engine cooler?

I would drop a 4 mill crank in and port the cylinders. Then if you feel you need to change the FMF pipes do it later. A 4 mill crank will gain you mid range torque, or you can give that extra mid range away in exchange for more topend with a more aggressive port job and still have as good of a mid range as you would have had with a stock stroke crank.

• Like 1