Shifting issue

Simple as the title states.......Im having no luck shifting the bike out of 3rd. Happened while riding, new transmission in it a few months ago, incl gears, selector forks and shift star. It never seemed to shift quite right, even from day 1.

If the bike is running, cant shift it, and if the bike is turned off, cant shift it. I know theyre ornary getting them into neutral at the best of times, but this has puzzled me. Any help would be great.

Ive got an ad up in the wanted section for a set of gears etc.....if anyone knows of a good straight set, as I suspect thats the issue..

Is your shift shaft adjusted right?

For sure would be the first thing I'd check. Been down that road myself. Had one loosen up on my air shifted drag bike and it drove me nuts as it would spin back and forth sometimes shifting and some time not.

A loose/ worn eccentric, a sloppy/ mis adjusted shift shaft, big goofy feet/ shifter in wrong spot, bad clutch(cable)/ adjustment. There are a few things to double check. Then check again. I chased shifting issues for a long time. You a happy medium on all things to get the bike to shift perfect

A loose/ worn eccentric, a sloppy/ mis adjusted shift shaft, big goofy feet/ shifter in wrong spot, bad clutch(cable)/ adjustment. There are a few things to double check. Then check again. I chased shifting issues for a long time. You a happy medium on all things to get the bike to shift perfect

x2 That mis adjusted/worn shift shaft can be a nightmare! My pro mod trans shifted like butter until recently, upon teardown mine came loose! Ive got some further investigations to do because in N she started trying to find 1st :( i think i may have worn a shift fork. Anyhow these situations arnt all that bad, remain calm and use ur head! good luck

Hope this isnt the case, but I had something similar happen to me last year. I couldn't shift out of 4th at all after a hard ride on spare parts banshee I had just bought. Turns out one of the gears welded itself to the shift shaft. Good thing is trannys arent too pricey on BHQ  

proper modded shift very nice.  HP DOES make a HUGE difference on how they shift due to the way they are designed..  a 40-45 hp stock banshee will shift pretty good still not great  but ok.  fresh oil thats a really good quality makes a difference also.

it sound to me like either one of the gears is welded to the shaft, broken shift fork OR the end of the shift shaft has rotated and is stuck inside the shift star..   the design of the shift shaft shifting mech is horrible.  i'm working on a stronger shift shaft now....

and also  DO NOT USE ATF!!!!!!!   use a real motorcycle bottom end oil or a good quality MC gear oil.