Almost finished with my build and....I may have a problem

Tommygunn

went to install my new clutch because last time I rode it, it wanted to stay engaged the entire time. Pulled the old one out and this is what happened. Not sure if it broke before, or while I was taking it out. I just don't know what to do. Going to try to extract it, but not sure if it will work. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do?

Am I in for more work and $$? I'm just ready to finish this thing.

2a5x5k7.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can try a magnet and might get lucky. If the ball won't come out you have to split the cases and pull the tranny shaft out. Sometimes it won't come out at all. And you have to buy a new tranny shaft.

This is what I was afraid of. I'll try a magnet tomorrow. what about a left hand drill bit if the magnet doesn't work?

the left handed drill bit will not work.  Listen to what we are saying.......it is not threaded.  it is a solid "push" style rod.  It is basically a spacer that goes from the actuator arm to the ball bearing.  Its just a spacer.........no threads, no nothing.  If it has no threads then it wont be able to be extracted with a left hand drill bit. 

This problem is caused by someone who doesn't know what they're doing with a clutch setup.  You cannot hold the clutch in and coast for a long distance on these setups without a pancake bearing.  Get one.  They're about $40-50.

You can split the cases upside down and leave the juggs in place. It's just a little tough making sure the rings/pistons go into the juggs good. Also make sure the shift forks go in the right spot. since you are new, id would just split the cases like normal with the juggs off.

If your ball and/or rod is welded and you cant get it out, you do indeed need to split the cases. Regardless, like said get a pancake bearing.  IMO it should be in every banshee.

edit* if the ball has ANY imperfections, it needs to be replaced. Same goes for the rod. Fictions causes heat and that will be a big problem.

Edited by RagunCajun

Thanks for all the info. I bought this thing from a guy for cheap. It was rode hard and ragged out.. Rode it once then tore it down. I haven't got a chance to try it yet but I will tonight. I didn't put a lot of thought into it when I first noticed what had happened. I just assumed it was threaded. I'm determined to get it out without splitting the cases, hopefully I can just turn the bike on its side, tap it, and have it fall right out. Thanks for the link on the manual. I'm about to download it right now

Edited by Tommygunn

You can split the cases upside down and leave the juggs in place. It's just a little tough making sure the rings/pistons go into the juggs good. Also make sure the shift forks go in the right spot. since you are new, id would just split the cases like normal with the juggs off.

If your ball and/or rod is welded and you cant get it out, you do indeed need to split the cases. Regardless, like said get a pancake bearing. IMO it should be in every banshee.

edit* if the ball has ANY imperfections, it needs to be replaced. Same goes for the rod. Fictions causes heat and that will be a big problem.

How do you get the pistons out with the motor upside down and the bottom case off?