Inverted Tyres

tommo

hey i want to turn my front tyres inside out for more width on my bike but my valves hit against my brakes . i went out and bought some tubes and i am planning to take my tyres off the rim and position the valve on the other side of the rim. the only problem i am having is that i cant get the damn tyre of the wheel, any reply and help will be much appreciated thanks

Take them to a tire shop. I drilled a new hole on the other side of the rim. Them, when you go to the tire shop, you have them put a valve stem in backwards on the original hole, (so it doesn't hit the calipers) and put a normal stem in the other hole. I believe it is 1/2" diameter. No need to run a tube. Anyways, you would risk blowing the tube by it coming out of the original valve stem hole. it is fairly simple. The tire shop should hook you up for a minimal price.

i changed my own tires with a 2x6 board and my pickup truck. lay the 2x6 on the tire all the way up against the bead of the rim(obviously you want to remove the valve stem first and let the air out of the tire). pull your truck up onto the board and it will pop the bead really easy then flip the tire over and do the other side. be careful and go slow. after that it just a matter of using two pry bars to remove the tires from the rims. drill two new holes for the stems and your done. took me about an hour to flip my rims.

checkster

Checkster you from West Virgina?

Jay:

Why does he need to be from west virgina? What would you do if you didnt have a bead breaker and you wanted to ride on a sunday after all the shops are closed?

I have used the 2x4 trick many times... It has worked for me everytime. I call it being resourcefull.

im a bit worried that if i run over my tyres they might split . is there any chance of this happening :unsure:

the 2x6 trick works good, get 2- 12" long bolts and put them in a 2x6, then put the bottom of the tire on the board put another piece of 2x6 with holes drilled for the bolts on top of the tire, put some nuts on and tighten and pop goes the bead everytime.....unless you have a vise that will spread that far

im a bit worried that if i run over my tyres they might split . is there any chance of this happening :unsure:

the 2x6 trick works good, get 2- 12" long bolts and put them in a 2x6, then put the bottom of the tire on the board put another piece of 2x6 with holes drilled for the bolts on top of the tire, put some nuts on and tighten and pop goes the bead everytime.....unless you have a vise that will spread that far

Blue, that's great man. You should add that tid bit to the tips and trick. Home made bead breaker. Thanks for that!!!!

your welcome rod, when i made mine i drilled the 2-2x6's together so the wholes would line up, and got 4 nuts and 2 washers, i put a set of nuts on the bolts and tightened them to hold the bolts straight up in my jig, then i just slid the top 2x6 over the bolts put a washer and nut on, and can leave it like that, you just lift the top plate enough to slide your tire in and cinch it up......