Kicking around going diesel

sprinklerman

I have been very happy with Ford Super Duty's for my landscape and excavation business for the last 15 years.  I was a GM guy before.

If you can find a '99 to '03 with a 7.3 that is in good shape it will make an excellent work truck.  I have four of them with a combined 650,000 miles between them.  The worst break down has been one auto transmission at 110k miles and a transfer case at about 125k ( due to retarded employee abuse)  Other than that, each of them has needed a glow plug relay.  Two of them have needed the turbo up pipes replaced which tend to wear out from lots of heat due to towing heavy.  Each of these trucks has been driven and worked hard by various employees and myself. 

We also have an '06 6.0 and an '08 6.4.  The 6.0 has required the usual repairs, egr delete, oil cooler replacement and the ficm repaired.  The primary cause of almost all 6.0 issues can be attributed to the emissions systems.  Once you delete these and retune the the truck you will have a great overall truck.  The 6.4 has been the least reliable again due to emissions systems.  Once these motors have the emissions equipment deleted from them these become excellent trucks too.  

In a lot of areas you cant delete the emission systems on the trucks, because you have to pass emissions every year on diesels. So thats not a fix. Not in all areas of the country at least. If you end up buying a ford 6.0, 6.4, 6.7, new dmax or 6.7 cummins there are different egr coolers and other emission mods available that fix the crappy factory units but keep you legal.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you do hand calculations or just assume that this was correct?

I've done many hand calculations and its never been far off. Maybe .3 mpg difference at the most.

Here in a few hours ill have about 16 k loaded behind me. Ill snap another pic then.

My overhead display is always off about 2mpg over what i get hand calculated on my 00 ram 3500. So i never really go off it. But i do agree with loco as for the 5.9 is king. Once you figure out the quirks there reliable as all get out and no emissions shit behind the turbo to go wrong. Just 18 feet of straight 5" pipe (modified not stock).

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk