Kicking around going diesel

sprinklerman

False....   the 5r110 will handle about 70hp more than an Allison 1000 of the same era.

As for the new transmissions, if anyone is familiar with H&S performance and their live dyno session "BREAKING POINT" you'll see that the stock Ford 6r140 transmission "slipped" at 884rwhp and 1660ft/lbs where as the new Allison (also stock) slipped at 568rwhp.  While this sample size is extremely small, its hard to argue that every other transmission is FAR behind an Allison when the Ford 6r140 held 316 hp more on the same dyno.  

However, the Allison 1000 has a big aftermarket support so they can be "built" bulletproof. 

Best advice I can give to anyone considering owning a diesel is the advice that was given to me...   drive all three brands with different options and choose which truck YOU like the most.  But make sure you have a little money left over because I've seen 1 ford, 1 gmc, and 1 dodge sitting next to each other in a 3 bay diesel performance shop all getting head gaskets at the same time.  I should have snapped a picture.

he is looking for a towing vehicle, not a 800/1600 race vehicle..  and for towing, the Allison IS far beyond the other transmissions, I drove all three brands before i made my decision (all 3 were 3/4 ton, the D max was Ext. cab, the other 2 were 4 door, all Automatics).. the results ...

Best Ride - Ford

Quietest Engine - Chevy

4x4 Lock-in quickest - Chevy

Transmission(went up and down some fairly steep hills, stopped halfway up, without a trailer) - Chevy

Cheapest $ Wise - Dodge

Most Expensive $ Wise - Ford

Cheapest Extra Warranty - Chevy($1000 extra gave a 7 year/84k mile bumper to bumper warranty)

Fastest Glow Plug warm-up - Chevy (around 50 degrees)

Dealership that seemed to want to make a good deal- Chevy

Edited by Colby
  • Like 1

Something else to take into consideration. I've noticed the dodge's drop price substantially, and after a couple years hold no where near the same value as the Chevy/ford. If you plan on selling a couple years down the road and don't want to lose too much money, I'd avoid dodge. A lot of people still ask in the 20's for early to mid 2000's for their Chevys/fords

My daddy-in-law has a 2008 chevy 6.0 gas and I have pulled 20-25k lbs with it. How much towing do you plan on doing? If its not much I would say get a gas truck!! Diesels are very very exspensive to maintain and repair.

I tow 5-6k daily,,approx 50-100miles,sometimes more..not much i know. Occasionally i need to tow 8-10k.

And I have no idea how people get 18+mpg consistently on any diesel. My very best out of all 3 was 5.9 cummins that averaged 15 on one tank on the highway empty. Most of mine got 11-13 empty and as low as 6 loaded heavy.

My 2007.5 cummins 6.7 showed 18-20 on display but that was a joke. It did the same as all my others +/- a tiny bit. My 5.3 chevy half ton wont get 18.

Its enough to warrant a 3/4 ton truck without a doubt. Its always nice having the power of a diesel. It just sucked buying parts for them. Or even spending $80-100 for stuff to change the oil.

Right now for service/spraying stuff i run two 1ton Dodge vans with 360's and 4.11 gears. They actually tow good being so long and heavy,plus everything can be locked up and out of the rain/weather. But i think for the 8-10k stuff a 1ton diesel would be far superior.