NEW OWNER/NEED HELP! Won't start after rebuild!

Hey Guys,

My name is Jordan and I'm a Navy Veteran (Machinist Mate) who picked up a 2001 Banshee in trade. Was told it needed rings and when I got it it was really low on compression and would run...barely. Anyway I got into it, tore it all down, being my first 2 stroke motor I've ever worked on and come to find out the pistons skirts had exploded. There weren't any pieces or anything in the bottom end by the crank so I assume they blew out the exhaust. After purchasing new Wiseco pistons and having my cylinders machined by one of the best places here in Nashville, TN I reassembled it all. After doing so, I couldn't for the life of me get it started. I did a couple times but it would sputter and die almost right away. When I did get it going it was running on both cylinders but then would cut out to just 1. I swapped plugs side to side as well as plug wires which resulted in no change (still ran on only the one side). Decided since he lied about it just needing rings I would pull the carbs and rebuild those as well. I installed Alba needles on the 4th position with the recommended 300 mains and 32.5 pilots. (I have Pro Circuit pipes and a K&N drop in) I put it all back together, manually synced the carbs, and still cannot get it started for anything, almost blacked out trying to push start it down my property multiple times. I am just getting so frustrated. I don't have a TON of money tied up into the bike but it's just really annoying and I'm getting frustrated and losing interest. Hoping somebody has an idea I haven't thought of and/or possibly there is another member nearby that is more versed in everything Banshee than I. I'm actually located in Christiana, TN which is about an hour Southeast of Nashville. If someone, anyone, can help me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

So you have stock carbs? 32.5 pilots are huge. I would drop back to 27.5 and see if that helps with your issue.

Also, did you put the choke tube back in between the carbs? That will cause issues as well.

Are your slides in the right way?! The cut-out should be facing the back of the bike.

Welcome to BansheeHQ :cheers:

Does this bike still have the Tors on top of the Carbs? If so unplug all that shit and see if it will run. I had the same problem.

Tors has been eliminated. Although I should probably go back through and make sure he removed all the wiring necessary. I have the MotionPro carb caps and throttle cable.

So you have stock carbs? 32.5 pilots are huge. I would drop back to 27.5 and see if that helps with your issue.

Also, did you put the choke tube back in between the carbs? That will cause issues as well.

Are your slides in the right way?! The cut-out should be facing the back of the bike.

Welcome to BansheeHQ :cheers:

Stock carbs yes but with TORS eliminated. Alba specified 32.5 when running on the 4th position. Do you really think that pilot size would cause an absolute no start condition?

As for the choke tube, yep, I replaced it with some new fuel line.

Funny you mention the slides as the dude had them in backwards before and I had mistakingly reinstalled them the same way. After doing searches and searches I thought that might have been my only problem, but after flipping them and then manually re-syncing it made no change. Maybe I'm not syncing them properly? One of the carb windows is extremely cloudy and pretty impossible to see the dot on the slide, even after soaking them in solvent,  I just got it to where it was even with the other. But yes, the slides are now installed properly.

I'm almost wondering if it's a reed issue? The reeds looked BRAND NEW when I had the motor apart, so I'm not so sure. Is there a certain way the reeds must be installed? I'm just so frustrated. I'm generally pretty patient, having served on a submarine, but I just am so confused now...

Tors has been eliminated. Although I should probably go back through and make sure he removed all the wiring necessary. I have the MotionPro carb caps and throttle cable.

Stock carbs yes but with TORS eliminated. Alba specified 32.5 when running on the 4th position. Do you really think that pilot size would cause an absolute no start condition?

As for the choke tube, yep, I replaced it with some new fuel line.

Funny you mention the slides as the dude had them in backwards before and I had mistakingly reinstalled them the same way. After doing searches and searches I thought that might have been my only problem, but after flipping them and then manually re-syncing it made no change. Maybe I'm not syncing them properly? One of the carb windows is extremely cloudy and pretty impossible to see the dot on the slide, even after soaking them in solvent,  I just got it to where it was even with the other. But yes, the slides are now installed properly.

I'm almost wondering if it's a reed issue? The reeds looked BRAND NEW when I had the motor apart, so I'm not so sure. Is there a certain way the reeds must be installed? I'm just so frustrated. I'm generally pretty patient, having served on a submarine, but I just am so confused now...

If the pilot is so rich that it is fouling the plugs, yes it could be causing the issue. If it were mine, I would put OEM needles back in with 300 mains, 27.5 pilots and air screw .5-2.5 turns out.

Are you positive you have good spark?

I would take the air filters or air box off and make sure the carbs are synced by eye.

If the pilot is so rich that it is fouling the plugs, yes it could be causing the issue. If it were mine, I would put OEM needles back in with 300 mains, 27.5 pilots and air screw .5-2.5 turns out.

Are you positive you have good spark?

I would take the air filters or air box off and make sure the carbs are synced by eye.

I will double check spark with my buddy. I sure hope that's all it is. It's just weird as before it would run on one cylinder to some degree and like I said, when I swapped plugs and wires with each other it made no change. They aren't side specific are they? (The wires)

I have the carbs synced by eye. They open perfectly in time with each other. I spent a good 10 minutes making sure of this. I guess if I determine that it has good spark, I'll pull the carbs again and swap out the pilots and needles. Just sucks that I bought the other pilots and those needles. Previous owner had stock needles in it (3rd clip) with 300 mains and 25 pilots. (mind you this is the only setup where I have actually had it running [somewhat])

Take a pic of your slides from the air box side of your carbs. Which side is cutting out?

I can take a pic tomorrow, but I know the slides are in properly and are in time with eachother. Both sides are cutting out now.... rofl... I can't get it to even pop anymore since I had the carbs apart. Before, when it had the stock needles, 300 mains, and 25 pilots it would run smooth for a second, sputter, then the left side (choke side) would cut out all together and it'd only run on the right side. (didn't run it long, only a few seconds)

Swapping the plug wires won't make any difference. They both fire at the same time. I have found that the coil either works or it doesn't.

The stator and CDI however can work intermittently.

This sounds like an issue with the needles and pilots to me, especially since you say it ran before, if only for a few seconds.

That is where I would start.

Guess I'll be ordering some 27.5 pilots....

What's the easiest way for me to check out the Stator and CDI? I just keep getting the feeling the dude knew the motor blew and then took parts off it to fix his other shees and then put the weak/failing parts on this one. I still got a good deal on it as I made an even trade for it with my 01 Suzuki JR80 that I got in trade and fixed up. 

I have about 700$ though into this between tires, pistons, machining, carb parts, graphics, headlight covers, etc. etc. I just want to enjoy it!

milage may vary, but id ohm out the spark plug caps or just replace them.  im assuming you tore the bottom end apart and cleaned/checked the crank and then put it back togather and leak down tested the whole motor?  make sure everything spins smooth.  Do you have aftermarket pipes(t5/fmf/pro circuit ect..) and aftermarket air filter that's clean, if so the 300 mains should be fine, if not it's way huge.  Air, fuel and spark.. tyler already covered all the critical simple things.  

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133650

This is the best place to start if you have electrical or starting issues.  Also make sure to compression check the motor to make sure you have 100+ psi and something didnt go off when i was machined. 

Make sure that you didn't inadvertently plug in the TORS brain box, left side front under tank, small black box - 3wire plug.

Well I didn't connect that, but somebody definitely did! :( I unplugged it and gave it a few kicks and still nothing really. Although I didn't try terribly hard. I DID notice though that right near there there is a 2 wire plug that isn't connected to anything. Would that possibly have something to do with my issues?