+4 swingarm and 47t rear sprocket.

3s1k

I got my banshee used and it already had a 47t rear sprocket. Not sure if that's for lower top speed or what. I also found a 41t sprocket which I think is the stock on. Anyways what is better for all around riding?

I bougt a +4 swingarm and it came with with a chain. I installed it and the chain is to short like 8-9 links and I mocked up the stock sprocket and its still short like 5 links. I even pushed the axle all the way in on the chain tensioner. Do you guys know what size chain I need or do I just count the links an add extra?

1) Stock sprockets are 14/41......that is a damn good ratio for all around riding.  Going smaller in front by 1 tooth is equal to going bigger in the back by 3 teeth.  So since you have a 47 tooth...you are basically running a 12/41 style gear setup which is more aimed towards having a quick low end and no top end. 

2) Sounds like the chain that came with it is meant for a stock swinger and you didn't disclose that you had a +4 swinger......Better call whoever you bought that setup from and ask them if you can return the chain and pay the difference for a chain long enough for a +4

3) We have site sponsors on the site that are super knowledgeable.....these guys eat sleep and hump banshees.  If you called them, not only do they have really affordable prices......but they would have known exactly the length chain you needed.  Hell....usually they send them with a few extra links so you have to trim it down to size.....

I bought the swingarm and chain of craiglist for $110 so can return the chain. I looked at the chain and it looks barely used so I don't want to spend money if I don't have too. I read of people using 2 master links here on BHQ is that advisable?

I'll probably switch back to the stock gearing. I rode it ibce since I got it and it seemed to top out pretty quick.

Edited by 3s1k

Hey dweeb, I run two master links on our hillclimb bikes.

IF properly installed, there's nothing wrong with two masters.

Just curious but why?  I mean i get it if you are a broke dick and cant afford a new chain.   Arent you like a millionare off of the HQ monies alone?

Hey dweeb, I run two master links on our hillclimb bikes.

IF properly installed, there's nothing wrong with two masters.

Just curious but why? I mean i get it if you are a broke dick and cant afford a new chain. Arent you like a millionare off of the HQ monies alone?

Quick change gearing at the hillclimbs. I don't have time to be dicking around with chain breakers and shit. I have short pieces of chain already cut and ready to go. We've been running two masters since we started climbing back in 2005.

You've seen the shit we do. If two masters will hold up to that, they will hold up to nearly anything.

You also run the highest quality chain you can dummy. I really doubt this vato is going to run out and spend 200 bucks on a chain. IMO it is not a great idea with low quality chain but can be done. Again. Be sure the clip is on correctly.

You also run the highest quality chain you can dummy. I really doubt this vato is going to run out and spend 200 bucks on a chain. IMO it is not a great idea with low quality chain but can be done. Again. Be sure the clip is on correctly.

I just run the 520 shit that Cam sells. Seems to be hold up well.