Trouble Getting Crank Welded.

Well i shipepd off my cylinders to get them ported figuring I could get my crank welded for $100 or less.

So far I have not been able to find anyplaces that will do it for less than $200, One place quoted me $225 just to split the cases. So now im worried ill end up with a port job I will not even be able to use untill near the end of the season.

I live in San Diego and im looking for a place where I can get this done correctly, but for less money. Or should I just have the place hone my cylinders and ship them back because I want to be able to ride this season...I don;t think I have enough knowledge or experience to mess with this stuff myself.

Justintoxicated how much would you be willing to spend for someone else to take the crank out and reinstall it for you? I've got all the proper tools and have done it before. You can ask SD4X4TRD about my work. I live up near Poway.

I was hoping to spend less than $100 for the whole thing, i did not realize that that was JUST to have the welding and the crank trued . I actualy spent more money on the porting than I origionaly intended so I don't really have anymore money than that. I guess I may have to cancel the port job and just rebuilt my top end...I don't really know what to offer you, I have a couple more places I guess i should call.

Im really disapointed because I thought getting the crank trued and welded was no big deal...And now it sounds like I need to take out a small loan to get everything done just to be able to ride. Which I can't do since im a college student :roll:

dam you would be lucky if you could find someone to do take off your top end for 100$. I think you should just either rebuild the top end and put it back together or wait. If you want someone to split your case you are looking at about 200$ in labor just for that. Its a lot of tedious work and its not something that I myself would let just anyone do, its not that hard to do but by what you are saying, you are better off letting someone else do it. So back to your original question, I do not think there is anyone out there that will do it for less then 300$ with all labor included

Could you de-tune it a little with larger domes until you have the time and money to do the crank? If you sent the cylinders to Jim, call and ask him.

Well the origional question i asked was could I get poriting and everythign done for under $800...

Not it seems to total cost is well over $1200, i was led to believe it would cost a total of 700-800 with gaskets so i shipped them off...

Now im find out there is so much more to it. I should have just left the top end together and wait to see if it blew up.

I don't want to de-tune anything or run it like crap, otherwise there is no sense in getting work done in the first place, I also don't want a "lesser" port job as it seems I may as well wait to get it ported later then ratehr than blwo the one time chance for a fast bike.

So it looks like ill just be out the $60 for shipping and the $30 for gaskets at worst ...Then I would be exactly back to where I started, If I can even put it back together properly...This has been one hell of an expensive learning experience...

Now I see why some people don't like banshees! They are damn expensive to get any kind of work done. I figured with $800 I could actualy do something But i see that it costs WAY more than that to get anything serious done, engine work, suspension etc. So now when I see a worked bike I'll have even more respect for it, as I putt around on my low compression POS.

low compression isn't a bad thing think anout it u save money on gas and running race gas will add up to a lot in time. I live in SD too and have all the tools except for the flywheel puller. I've never done a lower end on a banshee and plan on doing mine after this season, but if u want i could help u and it will be a learning experience with the manual. Just an idea thought i would run it by ya.

Justintoxicated I can split the cases and pull the crank for you to take some place else to be trued and welded and then reinstall the crank but it will cost you. Let me know

Justintoxicated I can split the cases and pull the crank for you to take some place else to be trued and welded and then reinstall the crank but it will cost you.  Let me know

I contacted my builder and he already started on the cylinders. He said honestly sometimes the welds don't hold up anyways and he thinks I could get by with my stocker for now, I just gotta figure out how to take the measurement to make sure its not more than .020 off.

If I can get buy for a whole season I could probably tear it down over the summer to get it welded. But with college classes and graduation this spring, and hunting for a job out of college (Really worried about finding a job in SD). I find myself falling WAY short of the amount of free time I have to learn about these things.

But hey make me an offer if you still think you could help...Im just trying to get things done for the big turkey weekend, since ill be away from X-mas and New years. Maybe its better so I can have some other things done when I split the case anyways?

Smoking if you look a little farther down the list you will see "check index true & weld". This is more of what needs to be done to a stock crank after its been ridden for a while. Justintoxic what year is your Banshee? I'll PM you a price and let me know.... I've got a little free time this Sunday.

I don't want to de-tune anything or run it like crap, otherwise there is no sense in getting work done in the first place, I also don't want a "lesser" port job as it seems I may as well wait to get it ported later then ratehr than blwo the one time chance for a fast bike.

I wasn't suggesting detuning it to the point that it runs like crap; only to the point, if necessary, to not overstress an unwelded crank. It would be a way to get by until you had a chance to do the rest of the stuff. I imagine that with the porting and increasing compression some, it would still run much better than it did before. Then, after you did the crank, you could trade the domes to get the full potential. Just an idea.

I am the builder Justintoxicated is refering to. Actually what I told him is, and Im sure this will start a rukis(sp) is that in almost every situation that I have torn down engines with welded cranks, regardless of who welded them, the welds have cracked and seperation is occuring anyway. This is not a new phenomenon, Ive been dealing with for years. Years ago( early 80's) I first started experiencing this with Kawasaki Jet Ski motors. Granted my 440cc motors were producing over 100 H.P back then and most of the builders I swap trade stuff with were in agreement that it was those heavy flywheels those motors were using. Also these motors cranks endure much more stress than a Banshee( like 5 times the stress). Well ,light flywheels made no difference either. Seems those cranks are going to try to seperate regardless of what you do, and Banshee's will too as well. The best protection is visual inspection a couple of times a year and make sure it still looks good. Go ahead and weld if you desire, but dont be suprised if they crack and seperate, because if they are not cracked yet, they will be....Jim