Resurrecting a dead Banshee

My name is Kyle Lyth, I have a KTM 450sx and race Pro Class in Western Canadians and CMRC, along with Pro and Pro Amateur Triple Crown and QXNW this year. I also Ice race in the CMRC. I'm not new to riding.

Anyways, I'm 16, I bought a blown up banshee for $300... I'm new to 2 strokes, and I need a hand with the mechanics. I'm very fond of the four stroke counter parts (YZ-F 426 rebuild x2, KTM 450sx rebuild x1) and haven't owned a 2 stroke since I was 7.

I took the the head pipe off the left cylinder first, and poured half the cylinder wall right out of the pipe (lol).

Right side was intact.

Took the cylinders off, discovered the case left side of the whole motor was just a salad of piston remains and needle bearings.

Right side piston cracked and damaged

Left side completely destroyed, bent crank, and rod.

My question is, what the f*** happened?

Starting repairs soon! I'm also wondering what I should look out for and what I should replace.

My cousin is Shawn Lyth, I believe he is on here somewhere...

Good to hear you are looking for a killer play bike. The banshee will do it for ya for sure. It's definitely not the best for MX track carving, but you can make that thing really shine ice racing!

As far as a motor like that, I hate to break it to you, but you need to go all the way through it. I would plan on spending quite a bit of cash to get it right the first time and be done with it. If you were just hoping to put a quick top end on it and having a solid bike you need to part it out and quit while you're ahead.

I'd suggest that you do a fresh welded crank, but since you're already buying a crank, just get the 4mm stroker crank for not much more coin. The. You need porting and domes to work with the new crank. Then there is the supporting mods that go with your type of riding.

Pipes, reeds, carbs, manifold, head, timing plate, any new hardware or fasteners, pancake bearing, shifting mods, fresh clutch, etc. it can get expensive pretty fast. So, like I said. If you wanted a fast cheap project, just ditch it and buy something else more complete. But if you are ok with spending the coin, stop wrenching, and do a ton of research on here and ask questions you can't find answers to.

Thanks for the reply, I'm happy to say that this is a full on project bike.

I seen on rocky mountain ATVMC that they have a hot crank complete assembly (with the rods and bearings and all that good stuff) for $450.

It is stock size, but my dad suggested to me that we keep the internals stock and stick with bolt-ons (I got V force 3 reeds, ProCircuit Pipe, Uni air filter etc.)

There is no point buying a hot rods stock stroke. Just find a used stock crank in good shape and send it to a builder to be checked over and trued and welded. For that price of the hot rods you can have the stroker and it is just as reliable. I get what the old man is saying but just save some coin if that's the way you wanna go. Also, check out many of the HQ site sponsors. They will have the better deals on banshee stuff.

• Like 1

like tricked said.....try and stick with our sponsors.  They offer us better pricing on a lot of things around the forums due to their purchase habits from their suppliers.  Also, a lot of the guys on here and in the for sale section are not out to cheat you....(there is a separate thread about the ones who are...be sure to look just to make sure).  A lot of the guys here will honestly send out parts that they have laying around from a stock bike to others that we know for just the price of postage as we know a fellow rider who isn't riding is not a happy rider.

Also....when it comes to the stock crank......there are a lot of guys on here that can send the crank directly from them (when you buy it from them) to a site sponsor for you to get it trued and welded (they are a press together design that has a tendency to separate if not welded) so you don't have to pay the shipping to you then back to the sponsors. 

any questions.....just ask......as long as your okay with some ribbing.  some of the guys who have been here for awhile will "seems" as if they're being a little rough......really we're just trying to get a laugh and have a good time. 

Welcome to BansheeHQ

Looks like you got a sweet deal on that bike. Just like the rest said , pull the motor and go through it 100%

Simply have a cleared / clean work area and take your time. Your going to learn a lot and be way ahead when your finished.

$300 bike cost

$ 1,000 for engine rebuild.

Your way ahead already :)

Good luck

Troy

yes that truly was an interesting mess when I pulled off the cylinder.

I've heard of stuff blowing up, but i've never quite seen it like that...

Anyhow, I talked to father figure about the next Ice racing season.

He agreed to help me out with buying SOME of the parts lol but I'm pretty sure this banshee is getting built from the frame up, for ice racing.

Future plans:

Everything. lol

Anybody know a good thread of someone that had a successful 4 mil powerhouse build?

Also, what can I do to make the transmission smoother?