10mm DMX Testing

SlowerThanYou

You had 1.1 60fts in sand? Surely that's asphalt. I guess you'll see if the same type of setup works with bigger motor. They're a PITA to me. My Cubs would outrun some of my bigger motors for a while, which is completely aggravating. Aside from clutch and chassis setup, it seems that exhaust duration, pipe, and ignition timing changes are magnified with the bigger motors. We lost upwards of 50 hp on the dyno with a 3 degree change in ignition timing; and lost 20 hp or so with 6 degrees of exhaust timing change. Good luck and keep us posted. :cheers:

You had 1.1 60fts in sand? Surely that's asphalt. I guess you'll see if the same type of setup works with bigger motor. They're a PITA to me. My Cubs would outrun some of my bigger motors for a while, which is completely aggravating. Aside from clutch and chassis setup, it seems that exhaust duration, pipe, and ignition timing changes are magnified with the bigger motors. We lost upwards of 50 hp on the dyno with a 3 degree change in ignition timing; and lost 20 hp or so with 6 degrees of exhaust timing change. Good luck and keep us posted. :cheers:

Oops! messed up on the last post.

Yep, it went high 1.1 on sand with the 18 DMX on motor. It was very close to the record 1st time out.

you say you  do alot of R&D on the clutch setups... is lockout the only wat to go with 300ft?

That's a pretty open ended question. This is a very generalized answer. IMO, any power level can benefit from a properly tuned lock-up. Some lower powered set-ups can get by with a very skilled rider, hand slipping the clutch lever out.

Thanks for the tips also!

If you had even 1.19 60ft that puts you in the 3.2 range if you have any mph at all. Wild Thing runs those 60 ft times. Something doesn't seem right. Not saying you don't run your times but do you should know that those 60 ft times are unattainable on that motor. No disrespect.

If you had even 1.19 60ft that puts you in the 3.2 range if you have any mph at all. Wild Thing runs those 60 ft times. Something doesn't seem right. Not saying you don't run your times but do you should know that those 60 ft times are unattainable on that motor. No disrespect.

I'm not going to speak for the Puerto Ricans, because they are pretty soft spoken compared to me. You act like I give a shit what you think about our quads. We have travelled all over the states & have proven what they can or can't do.

Now for my new motor, I don't know what kind of numbers it will do. I know one thing, it will not be misrepresented on the keyboard or bench racing. There's always a member or 2 that see it run & have a comment or it appears on youtube.

You question or state asphalt or sand numbers. These are the facts on our findings, one of the reasons I wanted to try 300'. The numbers in 60' & 300' compared to 330' are almost identical between the 2 surfaces. That has been our findings. I would like to here your results from the 2 different surfaces?

A big thanks goes out to Chris (Wheelman)! He made time to go over some tuning differences between a Cub motor & a DMX motor.

The tune-up is going to be pretty conservative for the 1st couple races. Spending the weekend changing our baseline carb, timing, launch/shift rpm, gearing & clutch from the smaller motor.

I also wanted to share that putting a DMX in a stock frame required one modification. I wish I would have taken a photo. We practiced on my dune accident frame. The left tube running from the bottom frame rail to the upper rail requires a notch above the motor mount. This is for the exhaust mount/flange to clear the tube & requires about a 3/8" notch. I'll have to try & shoot a picture or two of the set-up we used to press the notch.

A big thanks goes out to Chris (Wheelman)! He made time to go over some tuning differences between a Cub motor & a DMX motor.

The tune-up is going to be pretty conservative for the 1st couple races. Spending the weekend changing our baseline carb, timing, launch/shift rpm, gearing & clutch from the smaller motor.

I also wanted to share that putting a DMX in a stock frame required one modification. I wish I would have taken a photo. We practiced on my dune accident frame. The left tube running from the bottom frame rail to the upper rail requires a notch above the motor mount. This is for the exhaust mount/flange to clear the tube & requires about a 3/8" notch. I'll have to try & shoot a picture or two of the set-up we used to press the notch.

Chris is a good guy. Something to be said about a builder who races.

Thanks guys!  We will be on sand and asphalt this year, hope to meet up with brian and john at a race somewhere for a beer or 3.

Thanks guys!  We will be on sand and asphalt this year, hope to meet up with brian and john at a race somewhere for a beer or 3.

I would like to add. I have never spent a dime with Wheelman & he still makes time to give me advice. I hope to pay him back sometime in the near future.