porting on nikisil

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try a bunch of differnt bits and try some diamond style.   its tricky  i really dont like porting on a nick'd cyl but a lot of the time  nobody wants to pay for the plating to be striped  then ported  then cleaned up after plating.    it is the ideal way to do it tho..

those big ass double cut bits on a air die grinder will chatter and bounce around  then chip the alluminum under the plating (and the plating goes bye bye)   takes practice and experience. re worked 4 cyls for myself before i felt ok with it.   

Site sponsor will port it even though its plated. Why strip, port and restrip? Cheaper to box it up and pay 350.00

proper way is get a bare cyl from calvin and fully port then plate it. and when u send it out and pay 350+ for a drag port all you really get is a cleanup port. once u see the difference for yourself. then u will believe it

boy... possum really does post some dumbass comments..... once you see he is really full of shit then you will believe it!!!

bet he seen someone weld and thought. man it's so easy anyone could do it. we seen how that worked out.

oh and i wouldnt believe a fucking thing camatv said. guy also claimed to be a marvin shaw guru that cost me 175 in repairs.

proper way is get a bare cyl from calvin and fully port then plate it. and when u send it out and pay 350+ for a drag port all you really get is a cleanup port. once u see the difference for yourself. then u will believe it

Most of us just like you bought a used cp cast that was already plated. Sponsors can port thru the nickasil and save you some cash.

It's 300 bucks retail to replate. 350 to port. Why not get the most for your dollar then full port after you have a reason.

I've done cylinders both ways. If done right they will still work fine porting after plate. It is much easier to port them pre-plate and in a perfect world that would be the way I did every motor, but because of cost it's very hard to sell that way. Takes me a little more time and patience to work around the nikasil but the end performance result is the same.

I use cartridge rolls at the area close to the Nikisil and at the Nikisil edge.  Also a proper radius is needed to insure that the ring doese not catch the plating.  we have about 98% no issue rate.  The few that canme back had haet issues and that is what caused the plating to fail at the port edge.

You can use the double cut anywhere back away from the bore edge.

ya i have some cartridge rolls in 3 different grits i think that i could use on the bore edge and use the carbides farther back into the port. done alot of work on my own jugs before but none ever had plating. ideally ya its easier to have the walls bare so ill do the best i can with the situation. worst case ill fuk up the plating and have it redone. aint nothing but money. ill be at work tomorow makin more  :lol:  

One thing nobody has mentioned is to make sure you spin your tip against the port edge so that it is turning into the nicasil. DO NOT SPIN YOUR TOOl TOWARD THE BORE! It will definitely up the chances of flaking. In my experience with playing with porche motors the Nicasil is pretty tough stuff, but the weirdest things can cause it to start peeling.

Yeah it is ideal to send it to the sponsors, but I always encourage any one with the balls and proper equipment to attack a project. Just as long as you are willing to pay for a mistake if it goes awry, go for it. Let us know how it goes.

Again, all you guys who refuse to believe that it is possible to learn this shit. You are nuts! Whether it's automotive, construction, or our banshees, it is important for people to learn how to do this shit or in the future we are fucked! After all, every builder has many dollars tied in to "Sacrificial Research". It's not like these guys just picked up a set of cylinders and was banging out flawless work and became a site sponsor overnight.

I am thinking about tweaking my exhaust port a little on my 10mil serval from 192 up to 194 just to give it a little more top end ... it will suck to chip the plating but I guess if I do oh well I'll get it fixed

I'll post back my progress if I decide to do it

I am thinking about tweaking my exhaust port a little on my 10mil serval from 192 up to 194 just to give it a little more top end ... it will suck to chip the plating but I guess if I do oh well I'll get it fixed

I'll post back my progress if I decide to do it.

Just file off the top of the piston the width of the exhaust on the exhaust port side. You'll have to calculate how much for 2 degrees.