Mystery Noise..

Man-O-Steele

I've gone through mine over and over.. inspected everything under the clutch cover and stator cover at least 10 times. split the cases... Didn't come up with anything there either. The only thing I can come up with is that my spring on the PTO side of the #1 fork is weak or the center spring is too strong pushing the slider gear towards 1st. I wont know for sure until next year.. But that is the only explanation I got with my issue..

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notsed.....what did you do or replace to fix your rattle?

it was something to do with the gear on the kicker shaft not going back towards the case enough and rubbing the idler gear, i think it was because the return spring wasnt in its notch letting it push the gear up. i think thats what it was, it was a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine made that noise. I found out I didn't put the kicker return spring and gear in the right spot when I put the assemble back together. The gear wasn't returning all the way like it should. Look for wear on your idler gear.

I thought that at first too.. But mine was installed 100% correctly. No visible wear on the idler gear or gears on the basket. only think I did find was a warped backing plate.. Its a brand new bushing on the idler gear too.

• 11 months later...

Getting ready to address this issue. Started on it last night. Any other ideas to look for? It's been ridden quite a few times since the original post. Hasn't gotten any worse. Like I said before it shifts fine runs great but occasionally makes this noise at a really low idle. If you pull in the clutch or touch the gas it goes away. The noise is definately coming from the left side of the engine.

I know I'm only 18 and just started on this site, but mine was making a noise like that, take your clutch basket cover off and check those gears in there. my idler gear has play in it and makes a knocking noise. Yours sounds like its the kick start gear that slides in and out when you kick it over. Try that first

Mine was making the same noise last season.... I thought it was a bent shift fork, but after disassembly I found no obvious problems... I rebuilt the motor as a ported 4mil, had Tyson cut my trans, all new shift forks (for the hell of it), the noise is gone this season.... But, i'm getting alot of recipricating noise in the engine now, i disassembled the engine checked all the crank and rod bearings, piston clearance, everthing is good... I run it hard and it has not broke... The noise worried me until I heard other Banshee's make the same noise... Is this common?

The only thing I can come up with is that my spring on the PTO side of the #1 fork is weak or the center spring is too strong pushing the slider gear towards 1st. I wont know for sure until next year.. But that is the only explanation I got with my issue..

This makes sense.

But check the kicker gear/idler gear interface as well.

here are my thoughts,  its the gear on the clutch bouncing back and forth  or one of the bushings ( instead of bearings like everything else) shaking in a harmonic way ( hard to explain)  think of a bearing that spins nice and free  then if it's loose it rattle just a tad kinda goes  bububbububububu  like that noise.  the low idle is causing it mostly.  no real pressure on the crank to clutch gear so they kinda shake back and forth.  also can be caused by the clutch pack bouncing around in the basket.   its hard to get rid of except to just raise the idle enough to put more of a constant load on the internals. i hear it a lot.  you can go through the motor and actually "spec" every part in there.  if anything is even a little off its going to maybe make this noise.   the idler gear is an atrocious loose fit even with a steel bushing installed.  i really think its just that hoping around on the back of the basket  it spins all the time when the motor is running.   i dont think i have heard this on straight cut gear'd motor's>

just some thoughts.