How To Free Stuck Clutch Plates That Wont Disengage?

Yea, maybe we will all be so lucky and reach zach45's level of supreme majesty one day :rolleyes: LOL.

No use getting worked up over TROLLS. He is just a TROLL doing his part to make the forums look bad.

no my supreme majesty.. If my bike was so problematic I would have just left it in my shed;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im having the same problem,,its worse when its cold. When i put it in gear it slams and lunges forward. It loosens up as soon as its rolling and works ok till it sits and gets cold again. Please let me know when you get it fixed and ill try to keep you posted as well. Im planning to pull my clutch tomorrow and get it straightened out.

Cold motor = Dry Clutch plates, wich cause the sticking. The longer it sits the worse the symptoms are.

Ok, some of you have obviously never had this happen, they are not dry !!! whatever oil was in mine turned sticky as hell ! i would not risk clutch baskets ect... just putting it in gear and taking off. trust me, take it apart and clean them up!

I took my clutch out and couldnt really see anything wrong and the ATF still looked fine. I went ahead and changed it to a 30 wt motor oil until i can get to the parts barn and get some lucas light weight gear oil. Its doing better now but still gets a little sticky when cold, im gonna try a couple more things and post my results. But you were right about the plates not being dry, they were still plenty wet even after sitting overnight. thanks

I took my clutch out and couldnt really see anything wrong and the ATF still looked fine. I went ahead and changed it to a 30 wt motor oil until i can get to the parts barn and get some lucas light weight gear oil. Its doing better now but still gets a little sticky when cold, im gonna try a couple more things and post my results. But you were right about the plates not being dry, they were still plenty wet even after sitting overnight. thanks

Did you seperate all the steels and fibers? Or just pull them all out at once?

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old but I will tell you what worked to free up my clutch plates. I rode it with the clutch lever pulled in the whole time. After about ten minutes of riding all of a sudden the motor goes "Zing" and alas the clutch freed itself. After that I changed the tranny fluid and learned what to do if the plates freeze together again. Just ride with your clutch pulled in the whole time and eventually your clutch will free up.

• 2 years later...

Fresh oil. Fire it and give it light rev and let the clutch out quick. Maybe a couple holeshots and it should be good to go if the basket and hub are in good shape.

If if you're not satisfied, pull the cover and pressure plate. Then remove the clutch pack and seperate the frictions and steels by hand. Inspect the basket and inner hub for wear that may also keep the clutch from moving smoothly. 

Fuck, thread miners got me!

16 minutes ago, trickedcarbine said:

Fresh oil. Fire it and give it light rev and let the clutch out quick. Maybe a couple holeshots and it should be good to go if the basket and hub are in good shape.

If if you're not satisfied, pull the cover and pressure plate. Then remove the clutch pack and seperate the frictions and steels by hand. Inspect the basket and inner hub for wear that may also keep the clutch from moving smoothly.

Fuck, thread miners got me!

epic fail...

brain fog, u need ride time