broken crank rod, major damage..............

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks like the thick rod that the black webbed "import" cranks used to have. the few that i have used and the one i got from m+m in one of their cub kits" was like that. i have not had any issues with those particular cranks but have not used or installed one onf the "knock off" OEM rod cranks that ALL these pistures in this thread seem to have tossed out of the motor in..

i personally have a 350cc motor it has a crank works preped hot rods crank in it. that crank is over 8 years old as of now and i beat the crap out of that motor.

polished rods/ shot peened rods takes the "stress risers" out of the metal even microscopic cracks in the steel can be a spot for a crack to start to form. hot rods rods from way back if i rember right were all polished along the length of the rod i havent seen that in the last few years.. wisco has had some major issues with some of their cranks for other models since they have been "out sourcing" the supply to another country.

no but it also don't take a rocket scientist to know that once the rod snaps it will be slung forward towards the exhaust side.... i question the way he put it in, but it's clear after looking at it he only sat the piston on to take the pic.

Actually the new Vito's cranks are pretty beefy! I debated running their new style crank but opted not to be the guinea pig. So I grabbed up a weisco instead, but once I finally saw a new Vito's crank in person I wish I had went with it. It is definitely a quality piece

By the way for those just skimming and not really reading, the pics of the backward piston are not the original posters they were from some one else (stroking)

Actually the new Vito's cranks are pretty beefy! I debated running their new style crank but opted not to be the guinea pig. So I grabbed up a weisco instead, but once I finally saw a new Vito's crank in person I wish I had went with it. It is definitely a quality piece

Thats what i said when i opened the box and saw mine. I was pleased.

no but it also don't take a rocket scientist to know that once the rod snaps it will be slung forward towards the exhaust side.... i question the way he put it in, but it's clear after looking at it he only sat the piston on to take the pic.

I was thinking that if the piston would have been put in backwards that the engine would have shown obvious signs and wouldnt have ran for shit. Hard to believe he wouldnt have noticed something seriously wrong before ousting the rod. And i think your right about the picture too. Looking at the way the metal is pushed out on the piston it would have been turned to the exhaust side where the rod was being slung into it.

To those of you that can look at a crank and tell it is a quality piece, I would like to know what x-ray metallurgist college you went to. You could make a crank out of unobtanium toothpicks that would look like shit but could theoretically hold up.

Dosnt take a rocket scientist to see that rod smashed through the wrong side of the skirt.

no it did NOT...LOOK AT THE CASES AND THE CYLINDER SKIRT.its broken on the exhaust side

FOR THE LAST TIME PEOPLE THE PISTON WAS SET THEIR FOR THE PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that piston was still in the cylinder went the motor came apart

Edited by stroking

no it did NOT...LOOK AT THE CASES AND THE CYLINDER SKIRT.its broken on the exhaust side

FOR THE LAST TIME PEOPLE THE PISTON WAS SET THEIR FOR THE PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that piston was still in the cylinder went the motor came apart

dont even bother man, half the people on here know our engines better than us even know we built them lol we know what we did so w/e :cheers:

I'm not going to read all of this but it looks like we need some damage control here. The maker of the cranks with the copper L29 color rods wants to put out a good strong product. He makes many different sizes and styles with a few different rods. He wants customers happy and I want my customers happy. If you have a crank you bought from me with the L29 copper rod and the rod broke call me and I will tell you what I can do for you. Even if you didnt buy it from me give me a ring. If the phone is busy shoot me an email. I’m working with the maker of the crank to make sure the quality and longevity is to your satisfaction.